Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Select Grade Brisket

Options
i think we’re all familiar with the different grades of beef, from Select to Choice, Prime and even higher. I am at my local WalMart earlier and happened upon a Select grade brisket marked way down to $22 dollars for a 18lb slab of meat, expiration date is tomorrow, then they toss it.
Question, I’ve only done ‘Prime’ ... any secret to smoking such a low grade of beef? Is it worth my time? Tim
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• sumoconnell
    Options
    It may make good hamburgers, but I've not had good results in a lean briskets.  Might be good for brisket chili? 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    All my briskets were from "select" grade cuts (Dillons or Kroeger)! Don't have any stores selling prime close to me. 
    They all came out great!
  • jamesj
    Options
     The grades of meat do overlap so it's quite possible that piece is nice just depends on the amount of fat. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They don't grade based on the brisket cut (that isn't even exposed when they grade), so it might be OK. I'd look at the intramuscular fat content and see what it looks like.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Aside from a SRF gold in my freezer, all I have locally is choice and select. I have done mostly choice but the select I did have wasn't that bad. I've been having a good run at nailing my brisket cooks. Looking forward to the SRF journey.

XL BGE
    MD
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    If it’s walmart, and iirc, that’s Excel packaging beef. 

Regular rules apply. I’ve had fantastic success with Excel...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pot roast the flat or the whole thing. get a corned beef recipe and make pastrami from the point. corned beef in the supermarket is usually made from select. pot roast in the egg is killer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    @fishlessman do you have an egged pot roast recipe?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

shtgunal3 said:
    @fishlessman do you have an egged pot roast recipe?
    mines pretty simple, big hunk of meat floured and seared in cast iron, add low salt chicken broth, a guinness, some white wine about 2/3rds up the side of the meat, flip once a couple hours in and add root veggies. towards the end i want the liquid no more than half up the side of the beef to let bark/crunchiness to develop. pull when veggies are done and it probes like butter. i usually start with a 10 pound chuck or top round, those supermarket cured smoked pork shoulders work for this (used to be a sunday gathering meal up here)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thanks guys, I went by the store this AM & the brisky was marked down to $14 dollars - SOLD!

Imagine, a 18lb brisket for 14 BUCKS! - America, what a country!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.