Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

From Egg to Egg

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I received a "reminder" call at 3:30 PM yesterday from the post office.  They told me they close at 5 and FYI, my chicks are still there.  I told them I never received an arrival call.  They said the other guy said he called.  A well oiled machine that USPS is.  Weekly I get mail addressed to other people on my street.  Anyway. . . 

I left work immediately after receiving the call to go get the little peepers.  

Upon entering the post office I could hear them peeping away.  They must have been listening to them all day.  

Here is how they are packaged.  There are 50 +2 in each box.  They must ship some extra to account for any shipping loss.  These chicks were hatched at 10AM on 9-26 per the attached label.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    As I have been extremely busy (I was dealing with that weight equipment for the last two days - see the what are you doing right now thread). I had not yet set up a brooding area for these guys.  Sticking to my mentality of trying to use what I have on hand, I set out to build a brooder room quickly before I unboxed the new chicks.

I used some fence wood that we are taking down, a 4x8 sheet of plywood, one of two screen doors my FIL dropped off a while back, and some wire fence to keep the turkeys from jumping over my brooder wall.  Bad pics, but you get the idea.  The brooder room is about 5 x 8.  At about 4 weeks i can take it down and they can mingle with the turkeys as they will be on the same feed at that point. 

I will have to see how big they get in 4 weeks and adjust as necessary.  I don't want them to be too cramped in there.  

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I lost count when unpacking them, but I think there was 104 or 106 chicks.  After observing them for a while, I noticed one was not doing well.  I moved him off to the side so he wouldn't get trampled by the mob.  I plan on building a feeding system out of PVC for these broilers, and after observing them and the feeding frenzy that ensued, I ran down to get a 30lb hanging feeder and another waterer.  I will post pictures of those later.  

I had to take my son and Duke (Bernese Mountain dog puppy) to obedience class last night and when I returned, there was a hen (one of our egg layers) in the brooding room.  This thing gets out of anything i put it in.  I have no idea how it got in.  If it gets in again, I am re-homing it.  It always gets out of the hen house and joins the turkeys.  The thing is a magician.  None of the other hens or roosters can get out or can figure out how to get out.  It is consistently this one!  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Also sharing space in the poultry barn.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

One week old tomorrow. I have lost about one chick per day.  Today is the first day I haven't lost any.  

Sunset tonight

Grand Rapids MI
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @kl8ton sorry about your loss. 1/day seems a bit high, although they are only a week. I know you are going non GMO, but did you get them vaccinated against Marek's?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @Sea2Ski

I did not get the Marek vaccine.  I talked to my food supplier and he never gets it.  I also did not get break trimming done. 

I feel the amount of time they spent at the post office was why 1 died.  It was not doing well right out of the box.  My excited 8 year old son admitted he accidently stepped on one while I was at work one day.  Also, somehow, a hen got in the brooder room.  I have no idea how.  No kid admits to letting it in there.  It is almost impossible for it to get in any other way.  It was chasing chics around pecking at them.

So now I feel we are good to go.  The kids are forbidden in there without me.  A hen had not gained access since that one incident.  They all seem healthy and active.  I keep moving the heat lamp up every day because they keep congregating in the corners of the coop.  Our outside temps are wide ranging lately.  One morning it was 39 degrees out and some days we are hitting 80+.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Good. Sounds like you identified the probable causes.

Marek's I would consider, only because I had a whole clutch of chicks lost to it, I had a clutch hatch and I never got those chicks vaccinated. All the other (vaccinated) birds went unscathed. As long as you do not have a vector in your other flock, you should be good.  Also, thinking about it, this flock will not be around long.

I do not mean to make you question anything, just looking to assist. I was was once bitten, so I am shy now that I saw how fast it can work it's way through a flock. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Sea2Ski

I did not get the Marek vaccine.  I talked to my food supplier and he never gets it.  I also did not get break trimming done. 

I feel the amount of time they spent at the post office was why 1 died.  It was not doing well right out of the box.  My excited 8 year old son admitted he accidently stepped on one while I was at work one day.  Also, somehow, a hen got in the brooder room.  I have no idea how.  No kid admits to letting it in there.  It is almost impossible for it to get in any other way.  It was chasing chics around pecking at them.

So now I feel we are good to go.  The kids are forbidden in there without me.  A hen had not gained access since that one incident.  They all seem healthy and active.  I keep moving the heat lamp up every day because they keep congregating in the corners of the coop.  Our outside temps are wide ranging lately.  One morning it was 39 degrees out and some days we are hitting 80+.
    When we had a spell without a cockerel,  we put some fertilised eggs under a broody hen and she hatched 3. When they went outside after a few days, one of the other hens killed them all. Our current chick was fine, Leonard (the cockerel) stayed close when the chick came out and the other hens stayed away. Now, I wouldn't let chicks out near other hens. Live and learn.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Thanks for the comments @Sea2Ski and @Eoin

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Fuzz is starting to give way to feathers. The transformation to ugly has started. I noticed some of them are already starting to sit like they are too big to move. Sitting back on their rears as if their legs don't work. One week old today.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Can we have another update when you have time?  Every week that goes by is what 20%'ish?
    Large and MiniMax

• kl8ton
    Options

Well they are growing fast.  Not so cute any more. 

They drink about 5 gallons of water every 36 hours.  I am going to add another feeder and waterer. I think they will outgrow this brooding room before the 4 weeks is up.  We will see. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Grand Rapids MI
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    update?
    Large and MiniMax

• kl8ton
    Options
    Ha! I was going to take a pic tonight.  It is pouring buckets here and I left my phone in the house.  They are almost fully feathered. I think 4 weeks old tomorrow.  Eating like mad.  I think they are too small to graze in the pen. By that I mean they could probably get out of the fence. Maybe 1 more week. I will try to remember a pic tomorrow.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

I merged them in with the turkeys yesterday.  They seem to be doing ok. They can go outside if they want to.  I have yet to see one go out.  It is really cold today (40 and sleet/rain/snow/wind), so that may play a role.  I had turned the heat lamp off, but due to the new temps, I turned it back on.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    edited October 2017
    Options

Little guy trying for the turkey water.  He can reach it.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Almost 7 weeks in.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Grand Rapids MI
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I apprettiate the time put into this thread @kl8ton. Interesting to see them grow up. We only had a few chickens growing up, mostly for some eggs. Amazing how fast they grow and develop. 

• kl8ton
    Options
    We have decided to butcher our own.  I think Saturday is the day.  Starting to order supplies. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    What a day.  I am beat.  I will post soon.  All meat birds butchered including the 4 turkeys. 

Lots of lessons learned.  
    Grand Rapids MI