Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Plate Ribs - Proper temp?

Options
I just bought some dry aged plate ribs from Crowdcow.com (shout out!). They are dry aged about 14 days. In the packaging, there was a pamphlet that said dry aged beef cooks faster and at lower temps. Is this true? If so, what temp would you guys suggest I smoke these? Using an XL BGE, I usually smoke grocery store plate ribs at 285.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    Don't know about ribs but I have not altered cook temperature for dry-aged steak but am sensitive to the quicker cook.  I'm sure there is no explanation for the lower temp suggestion.  I would run like you normally do but be looking for the tooth-pick test finish-line sooner. FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    250 - 275 degrees indirect works great for me. Good luck and have fun. (FYI - I started some about an hour ago.)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • hdgraham
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can't wait to get these bad boys started. I'll follow up with some pics. Could be next weekend, so be patient!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lower temp cook would be good.  It will finish faster.  Tooth pick finish is key. Eat well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • hdgraham
    Options
    The before. As you can see, these are thick, but they were cut very short/small. Still, the quality was really good.

4.5 hours in. The sun was brutal, so this is the only angle I could get. 

The finished product. As you can see, they kind of turned out like beef rib “nuggets” since they were so small. Overall, I was happy with the outcome, and I guess my guests were as well seeing this was the only pic I could take before people started to devour them!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    @hdgraham - thanks for the follow-up.  Great result right there.  Brisket on a stick.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.