Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Reccomendations for NYC / Fort Worth / Austin?

Options
Going to NYC today / tomorrow. Any reccomendations? Even if not BBQ. Been a couple times but looking for something new.

Also going to be in Fort Worth and Austin for a week at the end of the month. I want to hit Franklin's if they are back up from the fire. Anything else?

Comments

• Maxwell1331
    Options
    Angelo's in Fort Worth. Best BBQ in town in my opinion. 
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Joe T Garcia for good Tex Mex in Ft Worth. (Cash Only)
    2201 N Commerce St, Fort Worth, TX 76164
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Austin - Since Franklin's is closed due to the fire, Salt Lick is a great option.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I go to Valentino's. 11500 Manchaca Rd, Austin, TX 78745
    I don't think I will ever go back to Salt Lick. Kind of ho hum or so so Q to me.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Stiles Switch and la Barbeque in Austin

http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

https://www.labarbecue.com/
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• Redraider44
    Options
    Pecan Lodge BBQ over in that town east of Ft.Worth
    LBGE  Campchef Pro 60 gasser with griddle & grill box .
  • tymaier
    Options
    Thanks guys! Lots of good options it seems.
  • Robusto
    Options
    In NYC Dinosaur BBQ on 125th st is a MUST!!!  Best baby back ribs I have ever had.  Hill Country on 36th if you are a brisket aficanato. 
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    Pecan Lodge BBQ over in that town east of Ft.Worth
    I think Hill Country in NY is on 26th, Dinosaur in Harlem is excellent, but there's also Mighty Quinn's in East Village and a few awesome places in Brooklyn,pretty close to lower Manhattan. Hometown in Red Hook and Fette Sau are two that get excellent reviews. 
  • Robusto
    Robusto Posts: 15
    edited September 2017
    Options
    "I think Hill Country in NY is on 26th"

You are correct, sir.  Sorry, I was going off memory....
    Mighty Quins is good, but I prefer Dinosaur or Hill country, but BBQ is A very personal thing... but seriously,  go to Dinosaur and get the ribs. You won't be sorry.  If you have time, and it's nice out, I highly recommend renting a bike and taking the bike path up the Hudson river to 125th st to Dinosaur.  It is a beautiful way to see the city that people, especially tourists, don't get to see.

Ps. If you do hit up Dinosaur,  the Bourbon Lemonade is the perfect beverage to wash down the BBQ.

Fred 
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Heim  Barbecue in Fort Worth is very good.

If Franklin is not up and running, I would take a 30 mile trip to Taylor and visit Louie Mueller's.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    I recommend both Heim BBQ and Angelo's in Fort Worth.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Second for Heim. Very good BBQ.  We don't have any good BBQ where I live. I'm jealous of all these good places. 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I second the Salt Lick for the hill country ambiance as much as the food. They're peach cobbler alamode is outstanding. 
    Gittin' there...
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I think the best in NY is outside of Manhattan - Dinosaur in Harlem and Fette Sau, Fletcher's,  and Hometown all in Brooklyn.  If locked in on Manhattan, I agree that Mighty Quinn's and Hill Country are the best. Virgil's was one of the first in NY, not worth it to me, Blue Smoke is much better (flatiron), daisy mae's (hell's kitchen) also ok either will do in a pinch. Have fun!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • jamesj
    Options
     15 miles south east of Austin is a town called Lockhart, go to either Smitty's or Kreuz way better than Franklins.  
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Blue Smoke in Manhattan is great - with a blues joint in the basement, it's a great experience and great food. Dinosaur BBQ is a must as well - much more of a honkey tonk place in Harlem. We would go there once a month when I lived in Manhattan.

And if you can - Hometown BBQ in Red Hook with Will Durney. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tymaier
    Options
    Going to Texas tomorrow if there are any more suggestions!! Pretty intimidating to pick the TX food itenirary.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Valentina's in South Austin.  Very accessible and worth the drive into the burbs.