Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurry hurry and place your orders....

I placed an order for some Rockwood charcoal last week from FireCraft.  Received an email the next day stating they were out of stock and it would be a couple weeks before they were back in stock.  After receiving another email stating the in-stock date was pushed back, I wrote to complain.

Well it turns out FireCraft will no longer be carrying Rockwood charcoal.  They are receiving their last shipment later this week, and once it is gone, it is gone.  

So either place your orders and take advantage of the free shipping, or we need to find an Ace hardware store.
Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I always wondered how a small business could send you 100# of Rockwood with "free shipping". 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    @stlcharcoal say it ain't so! Ace for me I suppose or drive a few hours to visit CGS. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • From what I have been told Rockwood might be setting up an online retail store and we could then order directly from them.  I can't confirm this unless @stlcharcoal wants to chime in.  

Louisville, KY
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Interesting. Might as well! Free shipping with code eggheadforum perhaps?!

i did just check and CGS is out too. Conspiracy!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • The question now is... how many bags do we need to purchase to get free shipping - if thats an option.   =)

Louisville, KY
  • The question now is... how many bags do we need to purchase to get free shipping - if thats an option.   =)

Shipping is never "free".  Even if we make is say "free", believe me, you're still paying for it.  Right now it looks like it may be "free" on multiples of 3.......but it's going to be more like "included" than "free" if you get my drift.  Sorry, our company buying power lies in TL and LTL freight prices, not parcel (or not *yet* at least.)
  • I think you need to stop back in Louisville, head over to UPS headquarters, have some talks and get a deal done.  I mean I will even provide a grill for some food and a table for you all (but you must provide the charcoal.). lol.

Louisville, KY
  • I'll chime in with a first-person account of the Ace Hardware option. I ordered four bags last month at a small Ace store. I was dubious going in, but it couldn't have been easier. As long as you have the SKU number (you can search this site for it), I don't think it matters who waits on you. It's almost foolproof. I was told I can just phone next time to place the order. My order arrived in three days. So take it from a skeptic, it's a viable option.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    So guess my firecraft order that was back ordered until the 19th isn't going to happen. 

Just poured the last last of my charcoal in the egg last night. 

Hope this gets resolved soon. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack said:
    So guess my firecraft order that was back ordered until the 19th isn't going to happen. 

Just poured the last last of my charcoal in the egg last night. 

Hope this gets resolved soon. 
    Sounds like the resolution is go elsewhere
  • @Wolfpack - from my understanding they are getting a large shipment in this week and all orders are going to be fulfilled. 

Louisville, KY
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Well this stinks.  Firecraft is 15 mins from my house and it was the one way my in-laws felt like they were contributing to my cooking hobby - by picking up the charcoal in person.
    What a bummer to hear.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sea2Ski said:
    Well this stinks.  Firecraft is 15 mins from my house and it was the one way my in-laws felt like they were contributing to my cooking hobby - by picking up the charcoal in person.
    What a bummer to hear.
    Send me frozen fish and I'll send you Rockwood...please?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Just ordered a six-pack.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    lousubcap said:
    Just ordered a six-pack.  
    Woodford Double Oaked doesn't come that way Cap.  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Ya know-with the way RW is going price-wise the gap is definitely closing.  But I am enjoying some DO this evening.  Very perceptive.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    bgebrent said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    What a bummer to hear.
    Send me frozen fish and I'll send you Rockwood...please?
    I'll tell you @bgeBrent, this was the worst year for us in the last 12.  I think I have 1 package of flounder left and that is it. Just horrible....
    Blue claw crabs were off the chart though. We caught (and ate) bunches of those!
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Out of curiosity, what is the price for a bag of Rockwood at Ace in your area? I bought some the other day, and was surprised that it was $27.99 for the bag. Seems like it's gone up quite a bit. I'm in NE GA.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • I found a local Ace that didn't come up on Rockwoods website, they can turn a shipment around in almost 24 hours and the pricing for me was $24.99.  They said their warehouse had 278 bags.

Louisville, KY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2017
    jeffwit said:
     surprised that it was $27.99 for the bag. Seems like it's gone up quite a bit. I'm in NE GA.
    Whatever the market shall bear. 
    It doesn't mean they buy it for more or less from Rockwood than another retail location. They've made a business decision selling at that price they're getting their desired profit margin.  
    Buying in larger volume may come with some price perks. I think that's reasonable. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited September 2017
    jeffwit said:
    Out of curiosity, what is the price for a bag of Rockwood at Ace in your area? I bought some the other day, and was surprised that it was $27.99 for the bag. Seems like it's gone up quite a bit. I'm in NE GA.
    That's high for Atl/ North Georgia. The most expensive I've seen in $25.99. Most places are $24.99 and some are $22.99. I've bought from probably 10 Aces. 

Edit: I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a bag. Get an ACE rewards card. $5off $25 coupons are regular. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    what SKU are people using at Ace? I stopped in yesterday and gave them a SKU from a fairly recent thread and they didn't have it in their system. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    jeffwit said:
     surprised that it was $27.99 for the bag. Seems like it's gone up quite a bit. I'm in NE GA.
    Whatever the market shall bear. 
    It doesn't mean they buy it for more or less from Rockwood than another retail location. They've made a business decision selling at that price they're getting their desired profit margin.  
    Buying in larger volume may come with some price perks. I think that's reasonable. 

I agree. I think this particular store may be phasing out Rockwood. They had 20# bags of B and B (I think) for $19.99, and the Ace employee there was pushing that one.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • lousubcap
    @The_Canuck -PM sent inquiring about your Ace store find.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    @stlcharcoal  I recall reading a few months back about Rockwood smoking chunks.  Will these be available through ACE or your website?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I placed an order from firecraft this weekend and got the back order notice. Went to my small town Ace on Monday  not expecting much. They will have it in Wednesday. It was no problem at all for then to get it in. A little more expensive than what I've been paying, but more convenient for sure. Thanks @stlcharcoal for getting to MN!

I canceled my order with firecraft, no hassles from them, with a prompt confirmation email. Still a good company. 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Ordered six which should stretch me out a little ways
  • @stlcharcoal  I recall reading a few months back about Rockwood smoking chunks.  Will these be available through ACE or your website?
    Not yet......only in St. Louis retail stores and Southern Indiana Butcher Supply (north of Evansville, IN.)  The boxes are going to be too tight to put anything else in, and more boxes and products at the fulfillment place means more $$$$.  Trying to keep it simple.  Come on over an visit me, get loaded up!