Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Band assistance

Hello, I accidentally took my entire band assembly off my large yesterday while replacing my gasket. I can't get it back on correctly. I've tried the new band style but it won't work due to lack of clearance on either side of the egg.

Any suggestions? Can I get a replacement band of the same style somewhere?

Thanks.

Comments

• SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,155
    edited September 2017
    Whoa! Back up a bit, the updated band should work perfectly - what do you men 'lack of clearance? .. explain further please .. do you mean the lid doesn't open as wide as with the previous band or is there some sort of obstruction on the outside which makes it not possible to work?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • My egg is sitting in an outdoor kitchen made of stone. It has about 1/2 inch of clearance on both sides, between the egg and the stone. 
  • My current band is fine but I can't get it to close so I can put it back on. I didn't zip tie the hinge before removing..
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,210
    edited September 2017
    I made the same mistake of not zip tying the hinge before removal a while back.  Try reinstalling the old bands without the springs. Replace the springs after everything is seated and tightened, be careful with the spring tension though, wear gloves and eye protection, grab the spring tight with vise grip before pulling/stretching.  Hope it works for you.
    canuckland
  • Thanks for the tip, @Canugghead
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,155
    @HuevoLoco glad you were about over some good advice, you left out the outdoor kitchen stone part in your initial posting. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,210
    also, have someone hold the dome open for you when reinstalling the springs ... less stretching required.
    canuckland
  • Thanks @SoCalTim. I should've been more specific in my initial post. I appreciate it!