Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk chicken and beans n rice

Options
Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by a buddy's cook I bought a few chicken legs and marinated them for several hours (next time I will do it overnight) in a combination of this jerk marinade and this Habanero hot sauce.

Then onto a soaked cedar plank and into the Egg at around 300 (with apple wood chunks for smoke).

After about two hours they were smelling really good, so I started glazing with extra marinade/hot sauce:

When they looked done (more like when I needed to eat or fall down), I pulled them like this: 

And I served them up with some rice and beans (onions, garlic and thyme, sauteed with a sort-of-creole mix I made (OP/GP/cayenne/oregano/thyme/pepper),  and then mixed with rice and drained red kidney beans, toasted for a while before adding a can of coconut milk and chicken stock).  A few wedges of lime and we had a very tasty dinner.

Next time I will marinate longer and use more hot sauce.  It was damn good but I wanted more heat and for the flavour to penetrate the bird more.

Finished product:

Toronto ON

Comments