Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underbite - HELP!

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Earlier this year i realized after a year of owning my egg that I had bolted the hinge assembly upside down. After having the dome almost drop one too many times I fixed it. But ever since then my egg's had an underbite a little more than a quarter inch. This is especially noticeable with my new base I just put on last night. I've tried a method reposted by @RRP From last year about adjusting the acorn nuts holding the dome on and resetting where the bottom and top rings grip but as soon as those acorns were tightened it pulls the dome right back away from being aligned.
What else can I do to get rid of this underbite? 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sorry that it didn't work for you, but honestly a mere 1/4" isn't something to get too upset about. There is actually a chance that your dome or base or both are slightly out of round and no adjustments will ever correct that! To check for that condition measure the OD of each from 12 o'clock to 6 and then 9 to 3 and compare all those. Now, if the 1/4" still bothers you they say the new Large band is designed to make adjustments easier, but the new band will lighten your wallet at least $120.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Have a pic?  Mine has a slight underbite.  There can be slight variances in the ceramic from the factory where it might never be perfect.  If it's sealing well then I'd be concerned less.  Do you have the same amount of overbite on the back end?
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Have a pic?  Mine has a slight underbite.  There can be slight variances in the ceramic from the factory where it might never be perfect.  If it's sealing well then I'd be concerned less.  Do you have the same amount of overbite on the back end?
    Not quite as bad on the back but the dome is kind of sitting back all the way around. On mine you can kinda see the top set of hinges are further away from the front of the egg than the bottom ones. Dollar bill test does work all the way around though.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Just let it be here's mine 
    Seattle, WA
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I would probably let it ride.  It's drove some crazy trying to get it aligned perfect.  If your not ocd about it then cook on!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ruh Roh...somefin's wrong wif an underBITE?!

Image result for matt groening underbite
    Options
    If the bill test works, it's good.  That doesn't look bad to me.  But I have pretty low standards.