Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Take Out < Homemade Deep Dish

Options
I sent a text to my mom last night asking what we were doing for my Dad's birthday today. It turns out my cousin stopped over at my parents and didn't end up leaving until about 1:45am this morning. My mom had to work this morning. I swear my dad is a machine when zoned in with a project at work. He didn't shut the lights out in his shop until 6am this morning. So my Mom text me this morning and said she would grab some take and bake pizza after work. Which actually is pretty descent pizza but I figured I'd go the extra mile being my Dad's birthday. So I told my Mom to hold off on the pizza and that I'd make deep dish. 

Pretty basic spicy Italian sausage deep dish pizza. I added green peppers and jalapenos on top of what the recipe called for.

A few pics:

I made these pizzas up at my parents place. I made some extra dough, sauce, and toppings for an extra deep dish pizza for a family I work with. With that being said, can I build a pizza in the cake pan and put saran wrap over the top and stick it in the fridge until they bake it? Or will the dough go crazy from one fridge to the other with a 20 minutes car ride? Should I just give them the dough ball and have them assemble the pizza? The gesture might be a little nicer if I can give them a pizza and all they have to do is stick it in the oven. Just not sure the sauce can sit on top of the dough all day in the fridge. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are? Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Glad to see you got the alligator eating the big guy. Great save 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The dough is gonna rise but I think you can give them the pizza.  20 minutes is no big deal.  Great looking pies.  Bring them pies brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think you're good V.  Brush the dough with EVOO before adding the marinara.  The oil will protect the dough.  I do this for just about all pies, keeps the sauce from bleeding through, and dough from sticking to the peel.

Make sure they bake it soon after arrival.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those pies look great. Another option to consider for the gift pie is to half bake it. I am no expert so this might be something you want to test out first. This is what some pizza places do for take and bake pizza. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Glad to see you got the alligator eating the big guy. Great save 
    I'd be lying to you if I told you that I didn't   second guess myself for a few seconds after typing it in. Than the old alligator reminder came into play! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    The dough is gonna rise but I think you can give them the pizza.  20 minutes is no big deal.  Great looking pies.  Bring them pies brother.
    Thanks bgebrent. Pies they will get!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Focker said:
    I think you're good V.  Brush the dough with EVOO before adding the marinara.  The oil will protect the dough.  I do this for just about all pies, keeps the sauce from bleeding through, and dough from sticking to the peel.

Make sure they bake it soon after arrival.
    Thanks for the tips Focker! I'll get that EVOO laid down beforehand. I'm dropping it off at their house. It will be another 3-4 hours before it gets a chance to be baked. Fingers crossed!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Those pies look great. Another option to consider for the gift pie is to half bake it. I am no expert so this might be something you want to test out first. This is what some pizza places do for take and bake pizza. 
    Thanks much SmokeyPitt. I'm tempted to try that approach on a future pie. That would save some headache with the dough 

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That look amazing!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Yo Web.....i have not read through the thread....but I think you should be good as long as you drain well your crushed maters. You don't want your liquid soaking down into your dough. Draining and the short time over....I think you will find joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    Options
    That look amazing!
    Thanks Brisket!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Yo Web.....i have not read through the thread....but I think you should be good as long as you drain well your crushed maters. You don't want your liquid soaking down into your dough. Draining and the short time over....I think you will find joy.
    Thanks! @northGAcock I prepped as much as I could without actually building the pizza. It shouldn't be too much for them to put together. I would have liked to given the pizza whole but decided against it last minute. The family used to own a pizza shop back in the day so it shouldn't be any issue.

I had to reduce the sauce by half when making it. It probably would have done okay on the dough but it will only take them 10 minutes to roll and make the pizza with everything else prepped ahead of time. These tips have definitely helped with future cooks. I appreciate the help!

Minnesota