Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which cooks first the chicken or the pig ?

Options
Labor day cook . Gonna do a batch of 1" pork steaks , and some leg quarters . Maybe a chub of Loney .
Will be more than even the XL can handle at once.
So which should I cook first then hold in aluminum pans while the other cooks ?

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good question. I would do the pork steaks first; do them slow and under cooked. Get them up to a temperature where the liquid is not pouring out after resting. Then do the chicken. Throw the pork steaks back on at high heat to finish them. Here in south central PA, its unusual to find pork steaks.

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Still trying to decide how I want to do this cook . If I do the above what temp should I pan the steaks at . They are 1  1/4". 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Project smoke is coming on now (pbs) and he is doing ham steaks and some chicken and other stuff

he smoked the chicken at 320 for 1hr in a stand up disc smoker
    the pork steaks were cooked direct for 10min. -5 a side
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    How thick are the steaks? If they're thin 1inch do the chicken first it'll take longer
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • fairchase
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    How thick are the steaks? If they're thin 1inch do the chicken first it'll take longer
    Pork steaks are cut 1 1/4"