Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Strange chicken sausages with hint of goat?

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Just picked up some fresh chicken sausages at a new local delicatessen in my area last night and grilled em on the egg. I've had these same sausages before but this time these seemed to have a little bit of that goat/lamb, farm dung overtone to them. They didn't taste bad or make us sick but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced with sausages that are NOT goat/lamb sausages. Is it the casing? Can the sheep casing impart that flavor? Never experienced this before.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If the intestine casing isn't properly prepared and rinsed before use, it can impart a strong off-flavor.
    Options
    If the intestine casing isn't properly prepared and rinsed before use, it can impart a strong off-flavor.
    Man that's nasty! I bet that's what the deal is. Not cool.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Eeeeewwww.  Any chance this deli makes their own sausages?
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Legume said:
    Eeeeewwww.  Any chance this deli makes their own sausages?
    Yes they do. Everything I've had there's been excellent until I had these chicken sausages the second time. They were not like this the first time. The pork sausages seemed fine but maybe they didn't use this particular casing or their spices overpowered it. Too bad. I really like this place. I may just give them a courtesy call about it. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not a pro, but every time I've made natural cased sausages and open up the pack of casings, it smells pretty terrible.  Probably why the instructions say soak them and run fresh water through the casings before using. 

If a funky smell/taste wasn't a risk, why would they have you rinse the stuff so thoroughly? 

Could be something in the stuffing though.
    A plant that made these casings in Loudon,Tn. Years ago reeked worse than the Naperville plant in Charleston Tn. It has to do with acid processing.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Papermill
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.