Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig

Options
Just googled DP and found that they are only an hours drive from me. Will drive there soon, but would like opinions on which of their products to buy. Limited funds don'tcha know (unless I win Powerball tonight!)

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My personal favs are red eye, raging river, raising the steaks, Jamaican fire walk and fajitaish. I will say they are all excellent though it's a matter of preference. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I really like the Red Eye and want to try the IPA badly. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    If I could only buy three I would clearly get Raging River, Swamp Venom and the newest Peking. I like all of them, but these - TO ME - are the most versatile! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Raging River, Cowlick, and Pineapple head to start.......but Shakin' the Tree, IPA, Mediterranean, Fajita, and Bayou are also good.

Get the little sample packs and try them all.  But you won't go wrong with ANY of them.

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Much appreciated. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you don't want to drive all the way to Manassas, there are a couple of stores closer that may carry their products. Boyce and Leesburg VA. Look at "Nearby Stores" on the DP site for addresses and phone. https://dizzypigbbq.com/zc5/store-locator/

Call first though. Some years ago, I went into a store that was listed as a vendor. They had no idea what I was talking about. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I really recommend their sampler packs.  Get one of each.  Each packet is good for at least two or more cooks depending on protein quantity.  I think for under $30 you can get almost every rub they have.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Wish they made salt free versions of all their blends.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kweitz
    Options
    @Carolina Q You are correct sir, Winchester and Boyce, and I work in Winchester! That's a win!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    What do you cook the most?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• kweitz
    Options
    Salmon, veggies, just did my first brisket, steaks, chops, any kinda pork, and chicken....

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I use their Dizzy dust for a lot of generic flavors so I would definitely pick up a bottle of that. 

After that get a bunch of sampler packs. Or you'll end up with a Dizzy collection you won't be able tog get through before you need more!  I have a lot I like but for specific things  

I do use the pineapple head and cowlick a lot and love the red eye express. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Options
    kweitz said:
    @Carolina Q You are correct sir, Winchester and Boyce, and I work in Winchester! That's a win!
    Well there you go! =) Hope they have a decent selection. I'd still call first. The shop I mentioned was even closer to Manassas, in Fredericksburg. I was expecting a lot of stock since it's only 40 miles away, but nothing. That was 6-7 years ago though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I really enjoy these rubs.  I don't think you can go wrong with them.  As others said the sampler packets are a great way to try stuff.  The full size bottles for around $10 last a long time.

Dizzy Dust - my go-to for ribs, pulled pork, chicken. I rarely make my own rub anymore, I just use this.  My favorite all around rub.

Raging River - great on grilled salmon.

IPA - Also great on salmon and chicken.  Need to apply a little heavier than some other rubs to really get the flavor.

Bayouish - nice blackening seasoning with a little kick. (c/w paul prudhomme's blackening seasoning which is another favorite of mine - nice flavor and very mild)  Swamp venom - YUM.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Can't believe there's no love for Tsunami Spin.  One of my favorites 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Red eye Express andShaking the Tree ha resulted in my most complimented cooks. Raging River is great fog both salmon and pork. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I have not had Raging River. 
    Swamp Venom & Mediteraneanish are my faves. I use the Med on veg a lot. Have zucchini and yellows waiting right now. Pineapple Head is interesting, it's good as an add in when looking for some sweetness. I was disappointed in the Jamaican. A lot of the ones I didn't mention are a bit salty for my tastes. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Amen to that. The sodium count listed for each DP rub is for only 1/4 tsp. To me, such labeling is intended to mislead. DP's new Peking seasoning, for example, has 153 mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp, 612 per tsp! Molé has 200 mg, 800 per tsp. Cowlick has 170, 680 per tsp.

The baking soda people do it too, only worse! They list 1/8 tsp as a serving size! Who uses 1/8 tsp?! A full tsp of baking soda contains almost 1300 mg of sodium!! That's too much for this ol' boy.

It's amazing that the only DP seasonings that are sold in salt free versions are Dizzy Dust and Raging River. I know part of the reason is, Americans think they have to have a ton of salt in everything. The other part is, salt is a dirt cheap filler. If you're selling an 8 oz jar, the more salt you can fill it with the less it costs to produce. And you can STILL charge $12.75 for it.

Here's Meathead's article on why you should mix your homemade rubs without any salt (and salt separately). I do that, but my idea of salting separately is considerably different from Meathead's. =)

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/the_science_of_rubs.html

Soapbox mode, OFF. For now.

@Nature Boy

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Public service announcement:  I would recommend googling "Dizzy Pig" and not "DP". 
    Options
    Can't believe there's no love for Tsunami Spin.  One of my favorites 
    +1 for tsunami spin, just had a pork chop seasoned with it a couple of nights ago.  My most used are shakin the tree and red eye express.  The former for poultry and roasted veggies, and red eye for pork, lamb, and most of all, roasted veggies.  Toss some red eye with peeled, cubed sweet potato, butternut squash, or even carrots and it'll change your life.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Amen to that. The sodium count listed for each DP rub is for only 1/4 tsp. To me, such labeling is intended to mislead. DP's new Peking seasoning, for example, has 153 mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp, 612 per tsp! Molé has 200 mg, 800 per tsp. Cowlick has 170, 680 per tsp.

The baking soda people do it too, only worse! They list 1/8 tsp as a serving size! Who uses 1/8 tsp?! A full tsp of baking soda contains almost 1300 mg of sodium!! That's too much for this ol' boy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the government set serving sizes?  That's why a big candy bar is 2-3 servings, right?  I don't think the manufacturer or copacker has a choice.

I wouldn't get to bent out of shape on the baking soda.  I don't think I've ever used more than a tsp in anything.......And that was definitely going into something that was more than a single serving.  A tsp or two in a loaf of bread or batch of cookies that feeds 8 would be an 1/8 tsp, so it kind of makes sense to me.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the government set serving sizes?  That's why a big candy bar is 2-3 servings, right?  I don't think the manufacturer or copacker has a choice.

I wouldn't get to bent out of shape on the baking soda.  I don't think I've ever used more than a tsp in anything.......And that was definitely going into something that was more than a single serving.  A tsp or two in a loaf of bread or batch of cookies that feeds 8 would be an 1/8 tsp, so it kind of makes sense to me.
    I have no idea how the guvmint rules break down for these types of items but looking at the bottles of various rubs I have on on hand I see the serving size on the Nutrition Information label ranging from 1/4tsp to 1TB. One just lists the serving size in grams.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Nope.  Actually, the FDA wants the serving size to be more accurate to what people *actually* eat, and the manufacturers want to make is smaller so it *seems* like it's less unhealthy. 

More on that here:

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm386203.htm

Options
    HeavyG said:

I just looked at the few commercial rubs I have. Some say 1/4 tsp, other DP type rubs don't even HAVE nutrition labels. It's still misleading, regardless of whose idea it was. Probably the McCormick's lobby, eh?

As for baking soda, I haven't had cornbread in 4 years. Or biscuits. Or anything else that calls for soda or powder. I know I probably could on occasion, but I choose to pass.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut