Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where's the smoke...?

Options
I did a lo-n-slo on a 7 lb split turkey breast.  Injected with some chicken stock for juiciness and rubbed with a little cajun seasonings I had in the cabinet. 

I ran it around 200-210F indirect for about 2 hours until 165F internal over a lot of cherry wood chips.  I had been reading that cherry makes for a good color and flavor on turkey.

But SWMBO was looking for more of the 'traditional smokehouse' deep smoke flavor than what I was able to get from my LBGE.  I think on my old gasser, there was more combustion of the chips going on, so I got deeper smokiness on things like chicken breasts.  The turkey was very juicy, quite tasty and good... just not a lot of smoke to it, though...

Anyone suggestions for getting more smoke into the bird?

Oh, and it was the first cook after putting on the Rutland - major props shout out to the man, @RRP !!  That thing didn't leak one iota of smoke and locked the cooking temperature in like mutha...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    We'll, you locked in the smoke with the gasket, but you also locked in the asbestos.  

Just kidding... I think. 

Splain  your definition of a lot of chips? 

Usually one chunk is enough for chicken and honestly most times I don't add any. 

Did you add the chips early when the bird was not on?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could always inject liquid smoke.
    Options
    About half a bag of cherry wood chips (not chunks) sprinkled all over the top of the lump. 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    @vb4677 - The chips were probably ash after about 10 minutes. Use chunks in the BGE. I usually make a line with the wood chunks from the center of my fire to the edge of the firebox, depending on how much smoke you want.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I stir in a couple handfuls of chips into the lump with the ash tool then add a chunk or two right on the edge of the fire, run the temp higher for better smoke for turkey breast I'd be closer to 300-325
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I don't know,looks like a winner to me.Not a big fan of heavy smoke on poultry. but I think you nailed it

IMO you can't really get the traditional "Smoke House Smoke"on the Egg as it is more of a Smouldering Cook, and is high humidity. Yesyou get smoke,but not in the way I think you are referring.  To me there is Smoked, BBQ'd and Grilled, Smoking usually occurs below 200 for a long period of time

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Here is what I did. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208127/pulled-chicken#latest
    I think it had a pretty good smokey flavor and I used two chunks. Could have easily used more, scattered around the coals, for more smoke.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Ok, sounds like I need to chunk more and chip less...
    I'll have to give it a try on the next one!
  • vb4677
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    Here is what I did. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208127/pulled-chicken#latest
    I think it had a pretty good smokey flavor and I used two chunks. Could have easily used more, scattered around the coals, for more smoke.
    WOW!  8.5 hours!!  That's crazy long... smokey looking as all get out, but crazy long cook... 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- I honestly think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say he didn't get as much smoke as he wanted on a poultry cook!  Most people don't seem to want a lot of smoke on poultry.  I usually don't.  Main exception is I usually want some smoke on jerk chicken.

But to the question:  You didn't say what you meant, exactly, by "lo-n-slo," but in my own experience, I think it's hard to get good smoke in a BGE if the dome temp is below 250°, so if you cooked it at 225° or even lower, the first thing I'd suggest is raising the dome temp to 250°-275°.

Also, again in my own experience, I seem to get better smoke and more of it with chunks of wood than mixing chips in the lump.  I usually bury a chunk or two in the lump pretty centrally, and then start the fire also centrally, and when the temp has stabilized, I add 3 or 4 more chunks sort of radially around the fire, put in the plate setter, and start the cook.  I get a VERY smoky flavor on ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc., that way.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Ok, sounds like I need to chunk more and chip less...
    I'll have to give it a try on the next one!
    Yes, chunk more ;)
  • Egghead_Ty
    Egghead_Ty Posts: 41
    edited August 2017
    Options
    We'll, you locked in the smoke with the gasket, but you also locked in the asbestos.  

Just kidding... I think. 

Splain  your definition of a lot of chips? 

Usually one chunk is enough for chicken and honestly most times I don't add any. 

Did you add the chips early when the bird was not on?
    I just read a different post in another discussion about the Rutland gaskets,  I'm a year into the stock gasket on my egg, it's definitely black and a little crispy in a couple spots but still passes a dollar bill test,  I was considering upgrading to a higher quality gasket when I do eventually replace it but maybe I should just stick to the bge brand felt ones?

As for your smoke chips,  are you soaking them in water at all?   That helps along with using the bigger chunks 
  • vb4677
    Options
    I love mine! And @RRP is the MAN when it comes to BGE's and gaskets!  And I too, am 1 year into my factory original gasket.  And with this Rutland install, I had no more smoke leaks out of my LBGE.  I had gotten it 'as good as it was gonna get' and didn't have a lot of leakage, but now I've got 0.00% leakage.  As for the asbestos - I think that's all bunk as the gasket is fiberglass.  It may not be food approved, but so far @RRP hasn't had a problem in decades with his!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ...  I was considering upgrading to a higher quality gasket when I do eventually replace it but maybe I should just stick to the bge brand felt ones?...
    I think you will find that the Rutland gasket replacement route is not only superior, but less costly.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There won't be much smoke in the bird unless the meat is exposed. It will be on the skin. The skin needs to be rather dry to take the smoke. Wet skin may let the smoke drift back off as the water evaporates.

From what I've read about commercial smoking machines, the food is exposed to vaporized liquid smoke, allowed to dry, and then go thru the cycle several more times.

There's a business in my area that does chicken, and offeres their portable pits for fund raisers. The chicken comes out black, well smoked and flavored, and falling apart. I watched the operation a couple of times. I don't know how long the ckicken is in the contraption, but halves and leg quarters are sandwiched in a screen. The screen passes thru a tank of simmering solution, and then over a smoking and slightly flaming pit. The flames may be from drippings. This goes on for hours.

When I have the time, I've found a way to recreate that. I make some really good stock, stuff that turns to gel in the fridge. I heat it, and place rub into it. I dip the pieces into the pot, and then onto the egg. I repeat this every 15 minutes or so till the meat is falling apart. The layers of gel crisp up and hold the smoke really well. But it doubles the time it takes to finish, not including making the stock.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A 2 hour low and slow, you burn so little lump and your fire never really expands much at all into your lump. A fire that does not expand and grow will not burn your chips spread all over the top. I would guess the little bit of chips in the red zone burned away rather fast and the rest never burned at all. Chips are good for quick cooks but stick with chunks, and don't water soak them. This just makes them smolder in the Egg.
    BTW, turkey breast looks perfect. Might not have been what you intended, but perfect.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    A 2 hour low and slow, you burn so little lump and your fire never really expands much at all into your lump. A fire that does not expand and grow will not burn your chips spread all over the top. I would guess the little bit of chips in the red zone burned away rather fast and the rest never burned at all. Chips are good for quick cooks but stick with chunks, and don't water soak them. This just makes them smolder in the Egg.
    BTW, turkey breast looks perfect. Might not have been what you intended, but perfect.
    Yes, presumably you light the top.  The low and slow fire dives down towards the air source.

It's a good idea to do a post mortem on your fire to see what it's doing. That helps you figure out where to put the wood next time around.
    Options
    Time to post stike's illustration again...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Mojo bricks are a great source of smoke for low and slow.  They're compressed wood shavings.......no binders.  They last forever 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For indirect cooks, I like to add my wood chunks ( a fair amount) right on the fire when it is fairly close to my desired temp. As soon as they go on, I put the plate setter, grate and the meat on to absorb the smoke. The Egg cools off, but the smoke rolls and the meat is absorbing it. 

Since I cook to IT and I'm not looking to sear, I don't need a dialed in temp on the Egg before I put the meat on. With enough wood chunks, it gets plenty of smoke. I'll let the cook absorb the smoke while I dial in the cook temp.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS