Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Steak cooking suggestions?

Options

I have 2 big sirloin steaks that I want to try tonight (cut 3/4" thick).  Seems like I hear getting egg up to 700 degrees and cook for 3 minutes a side.  Then shut the egg down and keep them on for 8 more minutes?

Do I do indirect or direct?  just pepper, salt and garlic salt?

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Direct but you better try to cook to temp rather than time. At 3/4" you can go over REALLY quick if you arent careful. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    2-3 min per side done most likely- 8 min shut down after that will ruin it 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hot n fast @ 600ish.  Maybe 3mins a side for that thickness.  I like the sear first and roast 2nd method but I use 2 eggs for that.  No way I would leave meat in an egg that I just closed the vents completely on.   Your gonna get all kinds of nasty smoke on your meat because you are starving the fire from oxygen and this creates a smoldering fire.  No Bueno on the protein 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    Here's a link that may give you some ideas and is fairly consistent with a few of the above:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/xertsteak.htm  Above all, avoid the shutdown with the protein inside the BGE.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    thx all!  will try the nakedwhiz
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,174
    Options
    Opening a shut down egg after its been up to 700 degrees is a bad idea. You may lose a lot of hair
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Dome temp 400.  4 minutes on each side.  Internal temp was 115 when pulled.  Yum, yum!  
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    so, I did 4 minutes per side on 400. removed meat and got up to 700.  then put the meat back on however there were freakin flames everywhere!  hard to put the meat back on.  had to shut it quickly.  then those flames burned the meat.
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    sous vide at 125 for 1.5 hours then direct for 90 secs a side super hot

• DrumMum
    Options
    blakeas said:
    so, I did 4 minutes per side on 400. removed meat and got up to 700.  then put the meat back on however there were freakin flames everywhere!  hard to put the meat back on.  had to shut it quickly.  then those flames burned the meat.
    I know this is old...but so am I.  I did the exact same thing last night on the XL.  Same result.  Charred way more than I liked.  Although I only went up to 650 Degrees.  (it was still tasty, though).
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    I prefer reverse sear. In fact, one of the best steaks I had recently ... I actually seasoned, then cooked in my convention oven at 275F until I was at 120F to 125F, then I re-apply seasoning, and moved to the grill ... 600F or higher (I have an IR grill on my Napoleon 665 Pro that's supposed to get to 1000F ... not sure) ... like 20 to 30 seconds per side to get a nice crust (need to be very careful here with time, or you will go well done very quickly).  Flavor from crust was incredible, and the inside was cooked consistently to medium rare.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,605
    edited November 2023
    Options
    lo n slo in toaster oven works too

canuckland
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,378
    Options
    Sous vide then sear

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    @MasterC - beautiful wall to wall $$ shot right there.  Nailed it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.