Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt ends help and questions.

Options
Some friends of ours, who own a ranch, slaughtered one of their cows, giving us some of their meat. I am pretty sure this a point.  I was thinking about trying burnt ends. I have no idea what to do.  I read smoke until 170° then wrap and let it get to buttah stage, cube up, reseason, sauce and throw it back on in an aluminum pan until when?  Does this sound right?  Much help needed and appreciated. 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sound bout right. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    This was my first attempt and I will definitely make again.  Hope this helps.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2185665#Comment_2185665

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If it's just the point, smoke it like a pork butt, can wrap when coming out of the stall (170) if you like.  then cube,
    1. hit with rub (make sure rub is fine grind) and paint with sauce to help dissolve the rub, wrap in foil and let them go till, as you say......buttah
    2. or, mix 'em up with sauce and let carmelize on the grill. use enough sauce to keep them moist.
    with bbq sauce, don't recommend aluminum pans.......acid in sauce can get funky with aluminum......

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Okay-prefaced with the fact that it is Friday night and a brown water LEO is in play; burnt ends are great when prepared with pork belly.  I find the brisket point to be the best part of the cut.  That said, I cannot see where you could improve the flavor and texture by the burnt ends sacrifice.  But such offerings have been acknowledged here and regrettably more than once.  =)
    However, your protein and your cook so go forth and have fun.  Above all enjoy the outcome...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.