Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family Reunion Brisket

14lb brisket on early this morning.  Had to use the v-rack to squeeze this fat moo on the large.  275 in the pit, planning to wrap in butcher paper after the stall.  Thanks again for all the advice received the other day.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Gonna be a fun ride.  Enjoy.
    Can't tell but if any of it is currently not heat deflector protected, you can layer a couple of sheets of foil under it to ensure some shielding.  
    Don't know how you feel about your bark but I would toss some more rub on.  Cleary your protein and your call. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    @lousubcap Yup platesetter and drip pan in there.  Did spritz with apple juice/apple cider vinegar and tossed more rub.  Sitting back 1 beer in riding
    it out.

• gabriegger
    7 hrs in huge thunderstorm rolls through soaks Digi-Q.  Took apart and blow dried back to life.  McGivered another umbrella for the reader & stuck it in the fence.  Sitting at 196 meat.  Working back to 275 pit.  

• lousubcap
    275 at the grid explains the pace of the cook.  Just hold on for the feel.  You've got this.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gabriegger
    @lousubcap Thanks man.  Freaking a bit cuz there seemed to be no stall.  Got 3 things on the go but this is my priority. Sitting 199.

• lousubcap
    You've been down this road before and as above, that grid temp in most cases will translate to around 300*F or so on the dome.  Stalls are quick if at all but always remember, "the friggin cow drive the cook."  Just go with the feel and if some part of the flat doesn't want to get loose, declare victory, cooling rack rest and then on with the preps for the road trip.
    Safe travels as well.  
  • gabriegger
    @lousubcap 205 in less than 8 hours.  Absolutely stunned it moved so fast.  Wrapped & resting.  Bourbon in hand as I declare victory on this one. It's been a helluva day.  Computer crashed, got a lashing from the Mrs. not to drink too much & I think I saw Elvis walking down the road.  Thanks for riding along man.  Much appreciated.  Will post sliced pics tomorrow.

• lousubcap
    Looks like a great meteorite for the finish. True style right there, transitioning from beer to brown water if the face of adversity.  Since you have the heavy lifting finished for today (just the road trip on the horizon) I figure you have two options, LEO (Low Earth Orbit) or escape velocity with the bourbon fuel.  Here's to a great evening ride and successful landing on the other side.  
    BTW- I'm guessing around 11-12 lbs post-trim.  So you saw about 0.7 hrs/lb which is within my experiences when the overnight cook runs up into that temperature range.  All good when sliced on demand for the win.  FWIW-
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Looks good - please post pics when sliced.

I want to try a brisket, but that's a lot of food for just the two in my household.

Guess I need to plan a party with good friends who won't mind a backup of burgers and dogs if the brisket doesn't turn out.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I'm usually done in 9 hrs. Enjoy!
  • gabriegger
    @mEGG_My_Day Not sure where you're at but understand smaller cuts available in the States.  Around here near Toronto I can only find 12-14lbs. @pgprescott Thanks it's a ride for sure.  As @lousubcap said 'the friggin cow drives the cook.'  I'll be 'flying both low and high' tonight. (Townes Van Zandt)