Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Stout Beef -- didn't mess it up this time!

Options
Last time, my first attempt (Incredibly Stupid Pepper Stout FAIL), I messed up and put the dutch oven in the Egg at the right temp but over a direct fire instead of indirect, and it burned on the bottom.  It was still delicious, but I was more careful this time, though I confess that I did the braising part indoors.  (I know, I know...)  The fragrance INDOORS was so smoky every time I lifted the lids I was almost worried I got too much smoke on the beef, but after braising it was all good.  They only had small chuck roasts, so to get 8 lbs worth (what I needed for a family gathering) I had to smoke 4 of them:

I did the braising indoors, and I couldn't fit them all in one casserole, so I had to use two:

I often don't get much of a smoke ring, but boy, I sure got some heavy red color on the outside this time!  

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Gorgeous!!!!!

Little Rock, AR

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I would hit that hard. 

Looks great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nicely done!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Very nice. Enjoyed my first go at it last week. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Definitely nailed the cook.  Congrats on getting back on the horse and bringing it home.  Most eggcellent.  BTW- photo shots are magazine quality.  You thoroughly erased the demons. Outstanding.  My invite still in the mail  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Good looking cook.  I'll try that sometime soon!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thanks, everybody!  I felt so stupid last time, it really did feel good to try it again and get it right this time.  My wife insists it tasted amazingly similar the first time, but I was glad that this time it went the way I had intended.  Maybe another time I'll try doing the dutch oven in the BGE, but the braising was so easy, and the temperature control so precise indoors, and there was PLENTY of smoke on that stuff so I really don't think braising it in the Egg would have added anything.  We'll see.

Thanks again!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    One of my favorite cooks to do on the Egg.  Yours looks fantastic.  Enjoy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Those look outstanding. The color is magnificent. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I really don't think braising it in the Egg would have added anything.
    I think you are probably rignt. At some point it's a choice just to cook outside because you want to - for any number of reasons. I'm spending a far amount of money and time building an outdoor kitchen that allows me to cook like people did hundreds of years ago... I'm doing it for the fun as much as anything. 
    Congrats on nailing the cook - wherever you finished it. :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks perfect. I agree that for the braising step if it is covered it won't make a difference on the egg or oven. I would do it on the egg in the summer just so I don't heat up the oven. 

To be honest I don't really see much advantage in using a dutch oven either. A disposable foil pain covered with foil works just fine, and is much easier to clean up. 

What size drip pan are you using under the chuckies? It looks like a perfect fit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    That looks absolutely gorgeous - and like a lot of work and clean-up. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Wow that looks incredible, great job!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    dope.  Looks awesome
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    It looks perfect. I agree that for the braising step if it is covered it won't make a difference on the egg or oven. I would do it on the egg in the summer just so I don't heat up the oven. 

To be honest I don't really see much advantage in using a dutch oven either. A disposable foil pain covered with foil works just fine, and is much easier to clean up. 

What size drip pan are you using under the chuckies? It looks like a perfect fit. 
    I've looked up the aluminum thing, and, rationally, I really don't think there's any danger at all in cooking in aluminum.  But I went for years thinking that because there's a connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's and it just made me not want to cook in aluminum anymore, even though I can't say it's rational.

And here's the "drip pan" -- a "cookie sheet" that's about 15"x10 1/2, and they do work perfectly for me in my Large (I have to use something else in my Medium):

I feel sort of guilty using them, though.  Once or twice when I forgot I'd run out, I made a "pan" out of regular old aluminum foil, and it worked just fine and I wound up throwing away a lot less perfectly good metal.  I should probably just use foil.  It's just so darn easy to grab one of these and throw it in.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Looks wonderful Theophan!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Really nice job! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Excellent!!! Really!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Yum....that looks good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Much joy was found right there. Congrats on a beautiful S Beef.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Now I know what I'll be doing with the chuck roast I've been trying to figure out what to do with.