Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kansas City Steaks shipping issue

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
To make a long story short, I ordered a variety pack from KCS.
It arrived thawed. The stuffed potatoes were packages of mush as were the burgers.
The Bacon wrapped sirloins probed over 50 degrees with my Thermapen.
Below is the second email I got from customer service after I complained. I did "XXX" the name of the service rep.
Cool to the touch, in a cooler, in my opinion, could have put the meat at an unsafe temp for many hours.
What do you think?

"I can reship the order as a courtesy to be
 delivered on Wednesdayif that works for you.

However there are a few things to keep
 in mind.

Just because the product arrives with
 no dry ice does not mean that the product is ruined, in fact
 it is very common during the summer months for products to
 arrive with zero trace of the dry ice.

As long as the product is cool to the
 touch, like it would be if you brought it home from the
 store it is perfectly safe to put back in the freezer and it
 does not harm the product.

We ship everything 2nd day air so
 we are only legally allowed to put 5 pounds of dry ice in
 the cooler, that is per federal guidelines.  Other
 companies will ship ground and most of the time not
 guarantee a delivery date so they can stuff as much dry ice
 as they want in their coolers. We prefer to give an exact
 delivery date so we package the product in a way that it can
 be refrozen.

We have this information posted on our
 website if you would like to read further. I just want you
 to be aware for future orders"

Let me know if this Wednesday works for
 a delivery date

Sincerely,
 xxxx
 The Kansas City Steak Company
 Customer Service 
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
    I would throw it back on them to quantify "cool to the touch" as that is certainly a variable.  Regardless, your $$-why risk it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mom used to send me Omaha Steak stuff from time to time. Don't recall if it was 2nd day or not, but I think so. If there was dry ice left, it wasn't much, but the meat etc was always frozen solid. Not even a hint that it had started to thaw. Came in a 3" thick styrofoam cooler.

If they ship again, won't you get the same thing again?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    edited July 2017
    Mom used to send me Omaha Steak stuff from time to time. Don't recall if it was 2nd day or not, but I think so. If there was dry ice left, it wasn't much, but the meat etc was always frozen solid. Not even a hint that it had started to thaw. Came in a 3" thick styrofoam cooler.

If they ship again, won't you get the same thing again?
    I have ordered Omaha Steaks in the past and Snake River Farms. Both more than once.
    Both companies shipped in thick styro with no issues. Kansas City Steaks were shipped the same way. I think it must be luck of the draw sometimes. Were it sat and for how long. These were also 2 day shipped. Tracking started Wednesday and got them on a Friday. Only sat on my covered porch for about 2 hours. I was off work and was watching the tracking. I have seen a couple posts on this forum about SRF arriving thawed but they backed it up with another shipment. KCS are sending out another order as well. 
    Really bothered more by the wording of what is normal or cool to the touch. With heat index temps into the 100s, 80 is cool to the touch.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    i would eat the steaks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    i would eat the steaks
    I'm sure many people would.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I do not like the fact that they expect a thaw and suggest re-freezing. It has to compromise a pretty expensive piece of meat. Food safety rules may be satisfied, but I would think quality has to suffer. Bad enough it has to be frozen at all...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim