Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome problems

Last year, I removed the dome from LBGE to assist in construction of my table.  Since removal, I've yet to be able to realign properly.  I've searched other threads on here but still cannot find a good one with concise instructions.  All help is greatly appreciated. 

LBGE, Paris, KY.

Comments

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 926
    A photo might help us figure out the problem.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,949
    Is it overbite/underbite or sidebite? Or are you talking about a planes issue where the front or back are closing first leaving the opposite side open a bit?
  • RRP
    HELLO - you still out there looking for help?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • @RRP, sorry just got back on.  I have an under bite.  I can take a photo if you'd like later this evening.

LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    This is the posting, from @RRP, that helped me when I had issues...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • RRP
    EggMcMic said:
    This is the posting, from @RRP, that helped me when I had issues...
    Thanks for posting that old link. Here's an updated version of a couple ways as well.

If your band is the old style it alone is the problem. The new band makes correcting that easier. OTOH here are 2 solutions which have proved VERY helpful and popular on this forum:Two approaches:

Overbite/Underbite: A quote from a poster

"I called this morning and spoke to Dewayne at BGE HQ Customer Service.  He was extremely helpful and guided me through the steps to level out the top.  It was extremely simple to do, even for someone who didn't understand the way these things are put together. 

So basically here's what was the problem and what I did.  The first problem was that the lower band was not wrapped around evenly - it was lower in the rear than in the front.  He explained to me that the lower band should come right up to the edge of the lower gasket all the way around the lower half.  So I loosened the carriage bolt on the lower rear band and GENTLY tapped along the band using a block of wood and a rubber mallet until the band was placed evenly around the whole bottom.  Then I tightened the band.  From that point, the underbite had improved significantly, but there was still a bit of unevenness along the planes where the gaskets met and it still did not pass the dollar bill test.  In fact, the gap on the rear side between the gaskets was slightly worse, but I wasn't worried because I knew there were a couple more steps to 

Next step was to adjust the front to back placement to fine tune the sitting of the top to the bottom.  There are two slotted acorn nuts on the top part of the hinge (above the spring) on both sides of the top that needed to be loosened so that I can 'wiggle' the top into a centered position.  So I loosened all 4 nuts, wiggled it into position, then tightened.  Now the top was centered properly (no under or overbite), but there was still unevenness on the plane of contact - in other words, it still failed the dollar bill test. 

The last step was to somewhat repeat the first step (loosening the carriage bolt) except for the upper band.  Wherever there was the largest gap between the two gaskets, I GENTLY tapped the band upward which essentially pushed the lid downward by it's own weight.  Once I saw that the upper band was positioned in such a way that the entire top part of the egg sat nicely and evenly on the bottom, I tightened the carriage bolt of the top band and vuala!  It was fixed.  Dollar bill test passed all the way around the egg.  No more underbite (or overbite). “

OR 

Here’s another approach in a video that many here claim works even better - BTW the guy made that stainless steel band himself! Pretty neat, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg

• @RRP, thanks man!

LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    For the record, RRP's video helped me out but over time I developed a 'side-bite' that I couldn't correct. I convinced my local Ace Hardware that it was a warranty issue and they got me a new set of bands--NEW Style that I have had no issues with. Easy to install and have had no problems since.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    YouTube 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    The YouTube video @rrp posted with the guy who made his own bands is the method I used. It worked great for me.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    @rrp, which do you update more: your overbite/underbite technique or your au jus recipe?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    thetrim said:
    @rrp, which do you update more: your overbite/underbite technique or your au jus recipe?

LOL ! Actually I have never kept track...BUT - I have saved a few specific problem ones just to cut to the chase as the OLD saying went!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,838

Last year, I removed the dome from LBGE to assist in construction of my table.  Since removal, I've yet to be able to realign properly.  I've searched other threads on here but still cannot find a good one with concise instructions.  All help is greatly appreciated. 

I'd sell it.  You should ask at least $1200 for it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,879
    td66snrf said:

Nah, $1000 if he wants it to go quick.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    The trolling is strong in this thread. Well played, gentlemen. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    td66snrf said:

What if he threw in a really cool grilling T-shirt?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Photo Egg said:
    td66snrf said:

What if he threw in a really cool grilling T-shirt?

That guy has had too many brews, he’s standing on the wrong side of the grill
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    How does this "just happen"?  After several months of not being used over much of the summer, I noticed on my first recent cook that I've "suddenly" got a major side/under-bite and the dome isn't sitting level to the point I can see between the gaskets. 

Years ago, when I replaced the original gasket, it passed the dollar bill test. 

I tried following the tips posted above by RRP, and I couldn't get the alignment to improve at all.  Every time I tighten the top ring, the dome is pulled out of alignment (back, to the side, and out of plane). 

This LBGE is nearly 10 years old.  The band is starting to rust in several places (the paint is bubbling in those areas), and I'm wondering if it's time to just bite the bullet and buy a new band & hinge assembly.  I just did some googling, and it seems they've come up with a new & improved design.  Next question will be where to get it.  The dealer I bought from went out of business years ago, and last time I checked with any of the remaining local dealers, they were all ending their affiliation with BGE.
  • RRP
    njl said:
    How does this "just happen"?  After several months of not being used over much of the summer, I noticed on my first recent cook that I've "suddenly" got a major side/under-bite and the dome isn't sitting level to the point I can see between the gaskets. 

Years ago, when I replaced the original gasket, it passed the dollar bill test. 

I tried following the tips posted above by RRP, and I couldn't get the alignment to improve at all.  Every time I tighten the top ring, the dome is pulled out of alignment (back, to the side, and out of plane). 

This LBGE is nearly 10 years old.  The band is starting to rust in several places (the paint is bubbling in those areas), and I'm wondering if it's time to just bite the bullet and buy a new band & hinge assembly.  I just did some googling, and it seems they've come up with a new & improved design.  Next question will be where to get it.  The dealer I bought from went out of business years ago, and last time I checked with any of the remaining local dealers, they were all ending their affiliation with BGE.
    Stuff happens! Since you said you didn't get the problem resolved I only offer two ideas ...quit fretting the small stuff or seek out another dealer OR call  Hotlanta and get the ball rolling for a new band. ,