Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - size matters, help needed!

Options
I will be using large BGE, can I fit two pork shoulder/butt's, if so, what size?  Need to feed 10 people. Thanks for any input. 
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Two butts will feed a lot more than 10. I can do two 8 lb butts and feed a good 20+ and have a ton left over. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You can easily fit 2 8-10# butts and as Tim stated, you'll have a ton of leftovers.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    I recently did 4 butts (38 lbs.) on my XL. You would have no problem with 2 on your large. I always like to do extra and vac-seal leftovers for quick fixes.

XL BGE
    MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Agreed with above. I like to find 2 near the same weight...usually 8-9 lbs. You will only need one of thise to feed 10 people but leftovers are good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Just remember that the piggies will cook at their own rate so don't think they will necessarily finish at about the same time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I routinely cook a couple of times a year for a men's group at church.  I typically feed 50-60 guys with 3 shoulders in the 8-9 pound range and usually have some leftovers.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    One 8 to 10 pound butt will easily feed 10 people.  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Two 8lbs butts will be plenty. I always squeeze as many as I can on the egg and vac seal and freeze what I don't use for later. I figure that I'm taking the time anyway so I might as well have some for later. It freezes well.

I've squeezed 4 butts that weighed close to 32 lbs in my LBGE and they did fine. I started with them sort of standing on end. They were all touching to start. I did rearrange them at some point after they shrunk up enough. In total the cook may have been a little longer then just cooking 2 side by side but not by much.

Pork butts are probably the most forgiving cook you can do on the egg.

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Two 8lbs butts will be plenty. 
    For 10 people? That's overkill.

One 8 to 10 pound butt will do nicely. It's a lot of meat when pulled and served. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I did a 9 pounder yesterday - was definitely enough for 10.  That took me over 11 hours at 275-300.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
         I did an 8# butt for my granddaughter's 15th birthday at her request. There were more than 10 folks there, plenty of leftovers. Usually there are more things to nibble on, so few eat just the BBQ.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia