Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Options
miniscus
miniscus Posts: 27
New to BGE. What is ideal temp for grilling hamburgers. I have heard around 450 degrees, but just wanted some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!
Bill
Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Yes, I usually grill mine around that temperature.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    When grilling I never really worry about temperature, but 400 or more sounds good to me. It really depends on how close your grate is to the coals. 

Better to worry more about internal temperature of the burgers. I like my ground beef well done.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    For me it depends on the burger thickness. I use a higher temp for thick burgers - getting that interior to 145º is (of course) faster at high dome temp and fat burgers are more forgiving if you flip late.

I have to use a lower temp for thin, previously frozen from the store burgers because they will go from rare to well in the time it takes me to come inside and get the cheese I forgot, or to toast the buns. Thin burgers cook at my house around 325º

The nice thing about the egg, as you will learn, is there's no worry about fire licking up and crisping one side of your burgers. Cook the same size burgers at 450º today, and the next time you cook at 450º you will get the same results. Consistency is the key to having good instincts on timing.

Wait until blood forms on top, flip. Wait until internal temp is 130 - cheese and buns down. When internal temp is 140, pull 'em off, take the buns and burgers inside, fix your plate with lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup etc while they rest and wait for the family to stuff their faces and smile because you did it again.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I usually shoot for 400 and let it ride wherever it settles in at. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    It's Friday so I will throw on my flame retardent suit and say.  For quick burgers with no fuss or muss I use my Holland. The rest of the time it's used for storage.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• miniscus
    miniscus Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!!
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar