Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Chargriller Akorn Jr

feef706
feef706 Posts: 853
Been eying at my local Walmart, was $150 but now reduced to $109. I owned its big brother prior to my egg and was happy with its performance. Anyone own or use the Jr.? It would be super portable compared to my MM. Just looking for feedback.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Yep, works well.  Temp control is pretty loose and low temps are a challenge.  CI grate rusts very easily, so you have to stay on seasoning it. Have to store it covered or pop the ash pan on the bottom off when you store it or it will fill with water.

Ok, that doesn't sound great when I read it.  It's a good cooker, I like mine. Just don't expect it to have the control of a BGE.  Great tailgate Cooker or quick sear cooker, etc.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    It's a buy. Get it. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    From what I read its a solid cooker, and that price sounds pretty good especially if portability is in it's future.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I just did a slab of ribs on mine. Held at 300 pretty easily but any lower would probably be a challenge
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Saw it reduced at Walmart yesterday and had to resist. Amazon has the same price. I'm picking up a mini max Tuesday for $380 so that has sealed my fate on the Akorn jr. 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I bought one about a month ago.  Rusted in a week and filled with water when it rained, even with all the vents closed.  I returned it to walmart and drove straight to buy my Kamado Joe Jr.  Best small kamado grill I've found. Perfect blend of size, grate real estate, weight, portability and function. I love the little thing. You can even do raised direct or indirect straight out of the box.  I roasted some prime ribeyes on my large Egg the other night and had the Joe Jr up to around 700 degrees. Reverse seared the steaks on the Jr before bringing them inside. Having a 2nd ceramic grill is a game changer!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited July 2017
    The Joe Jr is actually the route I went also. I've always wanted either a small or a Mini Max since it came out  to travel with but stumbled across a Kamado Joe roadshow last month and came home with the Jr. Out of the box it does everything I want it to do and is a charcoal miser to boot.