Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Party for 8 Ideas

Options
We are having 8 adults for dinner (casual) this weekend. I'm looking for ideas of something to cook on a Large BGE. I've seen posts about pizzas but I don't have a pizza stone yet. 

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Whole beef tenderloin....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hoagie
    Hoagie Posts: 5
    Options
    How would you recommend cooking one?  I am pretty new to the egg and have successfully done a butt, ribs, wings
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Hoagie said:
    How would you recommend cooking one?  I am pretty new to the egg and have successfully done a butt, ribs, wings
    Being new, stick with what you know so it's lower stress and you can enjoy the party. Experiment when there's less on the line. 

Welcome to the forum by the way. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hoagie said:
    You'll need about a 5 pound beef tenderloin.  Coat with salt and pepper.  Put in the oven at 200F until it hits about 100F internal.  Fire up your egg while that's cooking and cook direct, hot, until you get a sear.  Roll it around to make it even.  When it's at 120F internal, take it off.  Let it rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Then cut into serving portions or cover until you're ready to serve. If it's more than 30 minutes, put in a warm oven. 

You can make a peppercorn sauce if you like and drizzle over.

http://www.food.com/recipe/fillet-of-steak-with-a-pepper-sauce-256676

Serve on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes or alone.

Options

budget wise  bbq chicken or a pork loin roast.  corn on cob, salad

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you can find one, a rack of pork usually has 8 bones so would work well for a dinner party for 8. 

A rack of pork is pretty easy cook. Season with a rub and cook it until 145 IT. If you wish you can use some type of glaze. A really easy glaze is coarse grain mustard and honey (50/50) (props to @The Cen-Tex Smoker ).

If you happen to be a Sam's club member you can check their website to see if they are in stock in your club. 
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/bone-in-frenched-rack-of-pork-priced-per-pound/prod20960008.ip?sprodId=prod20960008&selectedTab=allProducts&_requestid=220853

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• georgia boy
    Options
    Check out this thread that was started recently, some really good suggestions.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207308/help-with-this-fridays-cook#latest
    MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
    ig: dewsouthbbq

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I second the pork loin roast.  I did a post once showing what I did.  Let me try to find it. I know it was easy.  Pork roast on the egg is killer. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Found it!  Maybroll their eyes at a roast like this, but I think it really sines coming off the egg. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193760/started-working-on-tomorrows-dinner
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Presentation isn't as dramatic, but a couple of pork tenderloins done in the same manner. Balsamic blackberry or apricot glaze, or honey mustard as above.

Or you could stuff them with lots of different items. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I second the suggestion to go with something you are comfortable with to ease the stress factor.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Welcome aboard! I agree with those above-stick with what you know for a dinner party. If you want to do something new try it out before hand-there is a lot of stress involved in these, anyway you mitigate it is a plus.

Your friends will love what you cook, whatever that is. Wings and Ribs are always a crowd pleaser.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Delicious brisket!
    Options
    Load it up with some leg quarters with various rubs. Good stuff and will please any crowd
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Beef Wellington!
    Options
    Pulled pork.. Ftc and then apps when they arrive. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Beef tenderloin cooked as Lomo al trapo.  It gets everybody's attention and is a real conversation starter for a gathering like that.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/lomo-al-trapo-colombian-cloth-wrapped-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-recipe.html

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Beef loin is pretty easy. I prefer to salt & pepper, sear first, then cook it raised indirect to 120 degrees. 

If you are doing a pork loin, try a stuffed pork loin. Think of it like a wrap sandwich and put whatever you want in it. Make it early, tie it up and put it in the fridge. 155 degrees internal and rest. Never had a bad one. And guests love it, especially if they've never seen it before. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Beef loin is pretty easy. I prefer to salt & pepper, sear first, then cook it raised indirect to 120 degrees. 

If you are doing a pork loin, try a stuffed pork loin. Think of it like a wrap sandwich and put whatever you want in it. Make it early, tie it up and put it in the fridge. 155 degrees internal and rest. Never had a bad one. And guests love it, especially if they've never seen it before. 
    Searing first is more fool-proof than my reverse sear, I'd recommend it, easier to catch the temp when it's going up slower.
    Options
    How casual? Pulled pork nachos for super casual are a HIT!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Beef short ribs, it's like easy brisket!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 beef tenderloin.  Flavor it or better yet sauce it.  Provides meat people are comfortable with and enjoy, and a roast that yields a variety of temperatures for varied palates.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    +1 beef tenderloin.  Flavor it or better yet sauce it.  Provides meat people are comfortable with and enjoy, and a roast that yields a variety of temperatures for varied palates.
    Well said.  For 8-10 people you need 5 pounds.  Under a hunnert bucks for protein.  It's affordable for most and hard to FU.
    Options
    Speaking of FU, that is where I'm at right now. As in F-ed U-p  Just parted with my neighbor after hanging out talking politics, mostly local, in the man-bear-cave.  We ate with him at a new restaurant in our hood, incredibly good - I'll send out the ino on the Brisket Camp role call thread.  Right off the ferry, too.

Good food, crazy good bartender.  I'll be back. 
    Options
    Enjoyed tonight Carrie. See yo ass in October brother.  Drive fast. 
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm going to be the dissenter and say to throw on a couple of spatchcock-cocked chicken. Simple, easy, and cheap.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @PNWFoodie Brisket Camp IV in nola Oct 21st.  Jump back on that horse!
    Options
    @nolaegghead because I need a reason to go to Nola? Lol
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @PNWFoodie  Nahh...I know you don't *need* a reason, but I'm just doing my part in promoting the fest to those I know would enjoy it.  New Orleans is like a laid back Vegas.  Git a baby-sitter!
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    @nolaegghead because I need a reason to go to Nola? Lol
    No reason needed.