Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few questions RE: Beef Chuck Roast

Options
I apologize for the length in advance. I'd like to do my first smoke with one of these this weekend and I have a few questions:

I'd like to cook this at 225; what's the general rule of cook time per pound at that temp.?

If my understanding is correct, in order to slice a chuck roast, I need to pull the meat at a lower temp. Is 175-185 range a good temperature to shoot for if I'm doing this? 

In general, how long should I let this cook before taking my first internal(meat) temperature reading? I have no fancy gadgets (other than my lg BGE) so I'll be using a traditional meat thermometer to take my readings. 

Should I concern myself with any smoke wood for this first go round? I'm pretty sure I only need a fist-sized amount if I'm using any at all so picking up some is no problem, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Also, any good recommendations for smoke wood? I'd prefer something not too strong for my first few smokes so I can better judge how well I'm cooking/handling the meat. 

Holding 225 on my Egg isn't an issue for me. I've practiced quitea bit  (both with and without a drip pan and different amounts of lump) so holding 225 or 250 shouldn't be a problem for me but I'd like to keep the cook temperature lower so I can move to my target temp. a bit slower. Is holding 225 going to make the cook any easier? Or should I bump to 250 or 275? 

Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing from you all. I'm super excited about taking the next step with my BGE. My steaks, burgers, etc. have never tasted better. Hopefully will have a couple of briskets in by the end of the year but I'm in no hurry. I have a ton of traditional grilling experience and almost zero experience smoking. 

Comments

• WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    Mods, could you please remove/delete this post? I'm pretty sure this is the wrong spot for it...Sorry! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the post will be fine here.  Here is a thread with some chuck roast cooks:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177798/smoked-chuck-roast

This thread contains some other links that will be useful. I have never done a sliced chuckie (only pulled beef). Based on research, I would say take it up to 195ish even to slice. 

Honestly I prefer cooking at 250ish dome. No harm in cooking lower but I my egg always seems to settle in at 250ish so I just let it ride. 

My preference for smoke wood on beef is oak or cherry. I agree just a fist sized amount is good to start. Wait for the thick white smoke to clear before putting the meat on. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    I think the post will be fine here.  Here is a thread with some chuck roast cooks:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177798/smoked-chuck-roast

This thread contains some other links that will be useful. I have never done a sliced chuckie (only pulled beef). Based on research, I would say take it up to 195ish even to slice. 

Honestly I prefer cooking at 250ish dome. No harm in cooking lower but I my egg always seems to settle in at 250ish so I just let it ride. 

My preference for smoke wood on beef is oak or cherry. I agree just a fist sized amount is good to start. Wait for the thick white smoke to clear before putting the meat on. 
    Thanks a lot. Cooking at 250 doesn't freak me out by any means, I just thought it might be easier for me to coast into the target temp by going a little lower. I appreciate the advice.