Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomahawk Steak

I picked up this tomahawk steak from my local butcher at Brattis Meat Market.  I went with a smoke/sear cook method and it ended up being one of the top 3 steaks I've had in my life.  I have the large size egg and the steak barely fit.  I believe it was a 30oz steak and put in a 16oz ribeye for comparison.

First i seasoned it with some steak shake, black pepper, and salt.  Second, set the egg for indirect at 225 deg. with a handful of mixed hickory/cherry chips. I also used a water/bourbon mix with ice in the drip pan. I smoked the steak for an hour and a half, flipping once at the 45 minute mark. Next I pulled off the steak and placed it a side for a quick second to remove the convEGGtor (or plate setter) and opened both vents to raise the dome temp to 500 deg.  Finally I seared both sides for a minute and a half each at 500 deg direct.   The steak came out a perfect medium rare, had a great mild smokey flavor, and a nice char/sear.
(I know I completely messed up and forgot a money shot please forgive me,  I just got caught up feeding my face lol). 

Comments