Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just picked up a Point (or Nose). Time to start planning...

Options
Poking around at the Butcher for ideas (have time Saturday for a slow cook.) They separated a brisket flat/point. Nobody had claimed the point yet. So I figured why not... Those burnt ends always look so good! Anyhow. I now have a 6lb nose. And I have no idea what I'm doing =) . Lots of research today. I'll take any advice if you all might like to offer some. 

Details > I've got a fair amount of hours into my LG BGE experience. Already done a couple of slow cooks. I'm getting better (good) at temp control. Most sessions have worked out well. I'm ready!

P.S. The wine in the images might play a part in the prep (drinking.) But the bottle of Aardvark is unrelated. 

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    One question I already have... The fat cap on the other side of the cut (pictured) was huge. Almost 2" think. I had them cut it down to an inch. Not even sure I need to leave that much on. Curious about your thoughts out there.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Man I love Aardvark.  As for the 2" fat cap, that was likely part of the deckle.  It's the hard fat region that runs between the flat and the point.  Trim it pretty aggressively, you won't be eating it.  The actual fat cap isn't hard - kind of mushy fat.  And it more on the flat than the point.  The point has a lot more intramuscular fat, so it can be a little easier to cook.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • acolle
    Options
    Man I love Aardvark.  As for the 2" fat cap, that was likely part of the deckle.  It's the hard fat region that runs between the flat and the point.  Trim it pretty aggressively, you won't be eating it.  The actual fat cap isn't hard - kind of mushy fat.  And it more on the flat than the point.  The point has a lot more intramuscular fat, so it can be a little easier to cook.
    Thanks for the info! I'm still learning about what is what on these cuts. Also. Aardvark is bomb. Just picked up a new bottle today... And, they are in my backyard! (Portland, OR)
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    I'm about 45 miles south of you.  Always have Aardvark hot sauce and their drunken jerk and drunken black bean on hand.  What butcher do you go to?
    The damp PNW 
  • acolle
    Options
    I'm about 45 miles south of you.  Always have Aardvark hot sauce and their drunken jerk and drunken black bean on hand.  What butcher do you go to?
    Salem? 

I roll through Gartner's whenever I'm in upper NE. More often I'm over harassing the guys at Phil's (Uptown Meat Market) in the NW. They are super flexible. And will let me ask a million questions. Gartner's doesn't have time for that stuff.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Yeah, down in Salem.  I get some dirty looks at Gartner's cause I'm usually asking for things they don't keep front of house: uncured hams, fresh pork knuckles, whole sides of pork.  Their bacon braunschweiger is super good if you're into liver pate.  Never been to Phil's; I'll have to check that out soon.  Our Costco's recently started carrying whole prime packers for $3 or less/lb.  Good brisket used to be a pain to find before that.
    The damp PNW 
  • acolle
    Options
    Phil's is small. And unfortunately, that comes with a premium price. Gartner's sells a brisket packer (with the point) for $5 a pound. They also sell a clean trimmed flat for $8 a pound. Phil's charges $9 across the board... But they seem to be the only spot I've found that will sell a point without the flat. I'll possibly go to Gartner's next for the whole packer. Grind up the rest for burger meat. We'll see...
  • acolle
    Options
    Got the temp locked in at 275, Point is now on the grill! Looking forward to this one. Fingers crossed.