Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge issue on the XL Egg

Hey folks, long time no see.  Anyway, I had finished a 5 hour baby back rib cook on Tuesday and was going direct for some chicken breasts and corn.  When I went to put the food on the lid wouldn't open more than maybe 15" high, and it seemed to want to go off to the right.  I tried to close the lid and it was kinda stuck, but I yanked down and to the left and it closed.  The lid is aligned properly, I had adjusted everything a couple months ago when I put on a nomex gasket.  I don't see anything bent or out of whack around the band or hinges.  What can I do here?  I checked it today when it was cool and felt around and everything seemed fine but still won't open all the way.  Any help?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    Check the hinge joints like in the photo. They will self tighten at times and cause exactly the problems you are having. My bolt was rubbing band and causing this so I ground it down a little.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,567
    Photo Egg said:
    Check the hinge joints like in the photo. They will self tighten at times and cause exactly the problems you are having. My bolt was rubbing band and causing this so I ground it down a little.

I agree.  In my case on a large,  it was the screw the hinge spring attaches to.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI