Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canada Day Epic Pork Belly Burnt Ends (kind of pic heavy)

As promised, I documented this cook.  Was going to a pot-luck Canada Day celebration and, having really enjoyed these a week previous, decided to bring them.  Perfect use for something so rich, in my opinion, as it sort of overwhelms everything else as a main course.  Started with dry-brining a 6.5 pound no-skin pork belly overnight in the fridge, then cubing it up and adding rub (turbinado, paprika with OP/GP/salt/pepper and some cayenne and celery seed). Set that aside for a few hours, re-rubbed and out to the egg running with hickory and apple around 225 or so.

After a couple of hours they were ready to come off and thrown in a tray with butter, honey, just a little barbecue sauce (my faux-bone-sucking-sauce) and a sprinkling of turbinado:

And then covered and back on for a couple of hours before glazing (more barbecue sauce, heated and mixed with crabapple jelly and apple juice and a little hot sauce) for ten minutes and then, BOOM.  Served about 30 minutes later.

Toronto ON

Comments