Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE Butt

Options
Atl_Buckeye
Atl_Buckeye Posts: 44
Just got a BGE a couple weeks ago from a friend. After a couple of grilling sessions it was time to get a low and slow going so went with a butt this weekend (sorry no pics). The smoke went great and the finished product was fantastic.

I have smoked before so I'm certainly not foreign to things. However, I have always done my butt's by time rather than temp with, as you can imagine, varying results. This weekend however, temperature was king and I cooked with a meat thermometer the whole way. With that being said, I experienced the "stall". I put the meat on at midnight Sat at 250. At 7AM temp was 153 and stayed their until around 11:30. This is when it was time to do something. I had read plenty on here about FTC (a method I have used in the past but not till after I pulled it out of the smoker). After getting the butt wrapped up it took a little while but finally got the temp going again. Finally pulled it off at 3:15 (195 internal temp) and wrapped in towels and put in cooler for a few hours. Turned out awesome!

One more note. Since I was putting it on the night before and far from being an Eggspert (sorry, couldn't help it) I had sought out a temp control method. I saw the Tip Top Temp. I figured for $35 that was a gamble I was willing to take. I saw RRP's contraption to attach it to a duct pipe reducer to fit it to the chimney (thanks RRP for this idea and other help you have provided). This worked out amazing and was able to maintain 250 without any noticeable variation in temp for 13 hours!! I would highly recommend this product