Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to buy a good deep frying dutch oven. HELP

Options
Want to get a good fryer to use on my turkey fryer burner and would like it to use in the XL also.   Looked at the Lodge 7 and 9 inch dutch ovens with a basket.  The 9 qt is a 12 inch skillet size and the 7 qt is a 10 skillet size and both about 4 3/4 deep. The lodge basket is china made but looks ok.  I am thinking more to the larger size as it would hold more stuff for egg usage.  I also wondered about the cheaper CI on amazon or one of the aluminum pots with baskets sold by turkey fryer mfgs.     Would appreciate info on what you use and how well it works and would you recommend it.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have the chicken fryer and love it. It is a good frying tool however if you are looking for to fry mass quantities.....you want to go bigger than the 3 quart.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8CF3-Covered-Chicken-Pre-Seasoned/dp/B00006JSUE
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Lodge CI DO.  I have had the 10" for ~40 yrs. and it still gets lots of use - after seasoning that. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

The lodge wok is another good choice for deep frying. 

btw.  I think the 10" is a 5 quart and the 12" is a 7 quart, but I could be mistaken.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Get the Lodge Double Dutch. The lid is a skillet. Genius! 
  • Cdm624
    Cdm624 Posts: 52
    Options
    That's what my mom got me for my b-day last weekend. Visit wait to season it up and get it into my rotation.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The Lodge #12 DO with legs is a classic piece, versatile.  Like a skillet, every kitchen should have one IMO.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B00008GKDW
    I have a King Cooker Al pot for the burner.  It would work too, but for all around kitchen and patio and live fire use, I'd have to go iron.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I have a question about these dutch ovens, do yall season after every use? Ive noticed in my lodge 12in skillet when i cook anything with liquid in it the seasoning comes off and I have white spots. I must be doing something wrong. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have a question about these dutch ovens, do yall season after every use? Ive noticed in my lodge 12in skillet when i cook anything with liquid in it the seasoning comes off and I have white spots. I must be doing something wrong. 
    I spray a small amount of Pam and wipe with a paper towel if it needs it.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  Acidic ingredients, eggs, mac n cheese, baked beans, chili, braising, are hard on the seasoning.  

Since trashing Teflon, I keep a 12" Lodge Carbon Steel skillet on the cooktop as a beater....using it for items I know are hard on it like scrambled eggs, vinegar, citrus, tomaters, etc etc.

If I take a second to think about what I'm cooking, it makes the job easier, keeps the seasoning of the iron intact.  Bacon, sauteing vegg, browning ground meat, fried chicken, cornbread, pan pizza all are great at building the seasoning.  

Acidic pizza sauce, chili, usually go in the enamel coated iron.

All they may need are a little hot water and a quick scrub on a few burnt food spots with the Ringer at most if you do it right.  Sometimes a wipe with a paper towel is enough.

These two #10 pans are beautiful after 10 pizzas recently.

Enamel coated iron is a nice option to have in the arsenal.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Thanks @Focker I just need to move my taco meat cooking to our le creuset work horse dutch oven save my skillet for cornbread and the like. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Cdm624 said:
    That's what my mom got me for my b-day last weekend. Visit wait to season it up and get it into my rotation.
    I got two DD 5 qt setups.   I make fries, fried chicken, bacon, eggs, no knead sourdough bread, sear steaks, burgers and tri tip

Love this thing and next holiday season ill make a bunch of homemade bread....