Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Visiting KC

Options

Thinking about catching a Royals game this weekend. Any good bbq joints other than OK Joes? I've eaten there too many times. Wanting to try something different.

I've purchased sauce from Brobecks, but never eaten there. Any suggestions?

Pratt, KS

Comments

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Q39, but make a reservation or expect a wait. I hear a lot of good things about SLAPs also, but haven't been yet. CharBar in Westport is pretty good, but their awesome outdoor patio draws me in more than the food. 

Then there's always the classics like Arthur Bryant's and Gate's.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Q39 is a definite must also like @HellrodKC said make a reservation through Yelp. Slaps is good but tiny and not the best part of town. A staple for me is always Jack Stack's for Lamb Ribs and a beef rib. Ton's of good places just depends on time of day and what else you want to do. I also like BB's Lawnside if the right band is playing but it's more about that then BBQ

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Q39 brisket, ribs, sausage, burnt ends

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    Options
    I also agree, char bar is pretty sweet.  Good Q and the outside area is very cool.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The original Arthur Bryants down in downtown.  Gotta make the pilgrimage.  Prepare your gut properly!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    In Lee's Summit, the Filling Station - an old Texaco that has really good Q. and the "hot" sauce IS HOT. (I've lived in TX and know whereof I speak).  Smokehouse in Independence is pretty good. My favorite is Jack Stack, Martin City. There are 3 or 4, but my favorite is still the original Martin City location.
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    Original Arthur Bryants downtown, like trim said it's definitely a pilgrimage. Joe's just so you can see what all bbq joints aspire to be. And Jack Stack is pretty special as well.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Off topic (steak, not Q), but years ago, I was in KC several times on business (Leawood actually) and went to a place that I think was called the Plaza III in the part of town called the Plaza. They had a meat cart that a waiter pushed around to show people raw samples of the various cuts offered. I didn't buy it, but I still remember the largest, thickest steak I have ever seen on that cart. A strip as I recall. Had to be nearly 3" thick! I regret to this day, not buying that piece of beef!

It was a nice place then. For you KC guys, is it still? Do they still push that cart around? Does the place have a decent local rep? It's been a long time, 25 years at least.

PS: Kauffman is a great place to watch a game!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    So this is an off topic suggestion. I used to live in KC and there is plenty of amazing BBQ. The one thing I miss more than anything is a Grinder from Mario's in Westport. http://marioswestport.com/ It is not a fancy or expensive sandwich but wow.

They are closed Sunday and Monday. Get a meatball grinder with a sausage grinder for desert. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Off topic (steak, not Q), but years ago, I was in KC several times on business (Leawood actually) and went to a place that I think was called the Plaza III in the part of town called the Plaza. They had a meat cart that a waiter pushed around to show people raw samples of the various cuts offered. I didn't buy it, but I still remember the largest, thickest steak I have ever seen on that cart. A strip as I recall. Had to be nearly 3" thick! I regret to this day, not buying that piece of beef!

It was a nice place then. For you KC guys, is it still? Do they still push that cart around? Does the place have a decent local rep? It's been a long time, 25 years at least.

PS: Kauffman is a great place to watch a game!

Plaza III is still nice yep. It's been about 5 years but you did get to choose your meat last time I was there.

There are better steaks, but it's up there.

Kauffman is BEAUTIFUL since the renovation. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @MattBTI, you are getting really good recommendations here and I agree with all, Q39, Arthur Bryants on 18th and Brooklyn, Joe's Kansas City, Slaps; I have had take out here and it is good.  Things go fast here so go there for lunch if you can.  Slaps is owned by Joe Pierce that have probably seen on the show Pit Master BBQ.  He is a really nice guy and I met him about 2 years ago at a BBQ competition.  He is usually not there on weekends this time of the year though.  Gates is an experience in that they are asking for your order as you are coming in through the door.   Just do a search for BBQ and you will find a lot.  We sometimes get Arthur Bryants to go and eat it in the parking lot of the K before a Royals game.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Thanks for the recs everyone. Unfortunately plans changed and I wont get to KC this weekend. However I make it up there multiple time/ year and will refer back to this post in the future.
    Pratt, KS
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    +1 for Q39
    +1 for Jack Stack's in Martin City or Lee's Summit 
    +1 for Filling Station
    +1 for LC's  - it's a total dive, but dang are their spicy green beans and burnt ends delectable...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...