Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork seasoning/sauce post cook

Options
Does anyone season their pork (Boston butt) after it's been pulled? I'm a big fan of Rodney Scotts barbecue and the method in which he goes about it. Obviously that's the whole hog method, but the way he seasons and sauces the split open hog as it's finishing up intrigues me. With anyone familiar with what/who I'm talking about, I'm trying to figure out/decide whether that result can be emulated to some degree. 

Anyone?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Rodney Scott (other than I know he makes barbecue in South Carolina). I sauce mine when I'm finished pulling. Eastern NC vinegar sauce only. I've never tried adding rub at that point, only before the cook. I've never sauced while it's still cooking either.

Try it next time. I'm sure it'll be tasty, the question is, will it be MORE tasty.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I've never rubbed after the fact, but I do like to add a little sauce if I'm eating a pulled pork sandwich. If I'm just eating the pork, I don't put anything else on it. I'm with @Carolina Q I really like vinegar sauce lately. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Principalchef
    Options
    I'm with Grillin Beers on this one.  Season it 12-24 hours in advance, get a good bark on it with that seasoning, smoke ite (I've been all about the quicker high-temp smoke - at 300 - recently), pull it when you're ready, and have a good sauce ready for people to add to their own taste.
    Love cooking on my XL BGE for 2, 12, or 100!
    www.principalchef.com

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have added a little extra rub to the pork once I pulled it and I think it is good. I add just a little and it sort of just melts into the hot pork. It is a subtle difference that you might not even notice. If you are using a sauce I don't think it matters too much. Much of the same flavors that are in the rub are already in the sauce (salt, sugar, garlic, chili powders, etc). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I don't add any seasoning afterwards.  I will add sauce on my sandwich for bbq and I keep a portion of the leftovers to go towards tacos/burritos so I don't like to over due the bbq flavor on the pork since I multi purpose it.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As everyone in our house likes a different BBQ sauce, I don't add it to the pan. But I do add S ome apple cider vinegar mixed with apple juice, 2 or 3:1, and a touch of the rub. No complaints from everyone we've fed!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I use this with pulled pork. After it's pulled, I mix a cup or so into the meat and reserve the remainder for those who may want an extra kick. It takes the flavor up a notch.

Cider Vinegar BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups Cider Vinegar

1/3 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1/4 Cup Ketchup

1 tablespoon Hot Sauce

1 teaspoon Browning Sauce

½ teaspoon Salt

½ teaspoon Onion Powder

½ teaspoon Pepper

½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook at medium

stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.

Cover & chill until ready to serve.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'll add my voice to those who like the Eastern NC vinegar sauce (I use Elder Ward's, but I've collected some other recipes I might try sometime).  I like to taste the pork, and adding more rub might be tasty, but I worry it'd cover the pork a little more than I want.  A smoky bark and a simple vinegar sauce is a great combination for me.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Do a search on here for shark attack.

takes 2 minutes to make and pork loves it.
  • MSUladyegghead
    Options
    Worcestershire, apple juice and tony chacheres 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Worcestershire, apple juice and tony chacheres 
    Do you use the tony chacheres as a rub as well?  I love that stuff and put that **** on everything.  (Copy right infringement alert).

Last week I over shot a little on a couple of butts.  So I was worried about the pork being dry.  I sprinkled it with cider vinegar, and it seemed to help withough being noticeable. 
    Lawrenceville, GA