Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Ribs

Options
Good morning fellow eggers. Pops has requested some ribs for lunch so threw these kinda big baby backs that I got from Publix on. Rubbed them with Honey Hog and gonna cook them between 230-250 until ready. Gonna let one slab run naked and the other 3-1-1 for comparison. 
O-Town, FL

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Looks good. I've been doing 3-1-1/2.  IMHO a half an hour is plenty of time for the final 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I do them indirect (turbo) at 350 for 2 hours. Done!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Turned out great!! Cooked them for just about 5 hours and they were tender. Next time I think I'll pull them a little sooner though. Everyone else like the slab I ran naked better than the wrapped slab done at 3-1-1. As @td66snrf said I think i'll cut at least a half an hour off the last part of the cook. 
    O-Town, FL

• CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    Great looking ribs @ewyllins. I've been debating on buying some honey hog but can't decide between the regular and hot. Have you tried both?
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @CincyEgg honey hog is fantastic on ribs and honey hog hot is great on chicken wings. Both are excellent!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • ewyllins
    Options
    @CincyEgg love the honey hog its my favorite on pork
    O-Town, FL

• CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    Man, I'm gonna spend a small fortune on rubs thanks to this forum 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ewyllins said:
    ... Everyone else like the slab I ran naked better than the wrapped slab done at 3-1-1. As @td66snrf said I think i'll cut at least a half an hour off the last part of the cook. 
    The ribs look great!

But if everybody liked the non-foiled better than the foiled, cutting down on the last half hour (when they're not foiled) will just make them proportionately MORE foiled compared to the non-foiled time.  Maybe cut the half-hour off the foiled part instead?  That'd make them closer to the non-foiled ones that everybody liked better.
  • ewyllins
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ewyllins said:
    ... Everyone else like the slab I ran naked better than the wrapped slab done at 3-1-1. As @td66snrf said I think i'll cut at least a half an hour off the last part of the cook. 
    The ribs look great!

But if everybody liked the non-foiled better than the foiled, cutting down on the last half hour (when they're not foiled) will just make them proportionately MORE foiled compared to the non-foiled time.  Maybe cut the half-hour off the foiled part instead?  That'd make them closer to the non-foiled ones that everybody liked better.
    Thank you sir and def will try that the next time!! You guys always make me cook better!!
    O-Town, FL

• camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Great looking ribs. That's what I'm planning on doing for the 4th.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great result right there.  As with most things BGE, many roads to get there and way to run your own experiment.  I am in the lazy camp- I run nekked for the duration.  If you want the fall-off-the bone texture that comes sooner with the foil process, just run nekked longer and you will get there.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ewyllins
    Options
    Nekked for sure from here on out
    O-Town, FL