Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Sleep Apnea surgery

Options
billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,530
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
One of my wife's co-workers of 42 years died last week due to a sleep apnea surgery. The doctors implanted some device that stimulates the part of the throat that closes off. The widow of the deceased also stated they performed a "non-evasive" treatment that thinned some part of the throat. The gent came out of the surgery fine. He awoke to carry on a conversation with the doctor and his wife for ~ 10 minutes. The doctor left the room and he told his wife he was still groggy and wanted to rest a little longer. He went back to sleep and fell into a coma after something went horribly wrong. The widow stated the hospital did NOT have any pulse or oxygen sensors hooked to him after the surgery.

Damn shame...42 years and died because he snored and tried to fix it...
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Not defending the hospital or surgeon but it's not as simple as "he died because he snored and tried to fix it." Sleep apnea isn't just snoring . It the cessation of breathing countless times during sleep putting a terrible strain on your heart. This process alone will kill you over time. He must have had it terribly bad for them to want to do surgery . 
    That being said , I'm sorry to hear this happened to someone. Terrible story.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Wow. So terribly sorry to hear that. Prayers for his wife and family. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Bill, that is brutal

My chest aches every morning from trying to breathe at night.  Stories like the one you shared prompted me do do something about it, and I'm picking up my new machine on Monday.  It's thanks to people sharing these terrible stories that I did something about it.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Apnea is hard to self-identify as you're sleeping when it happens.  I convinced SWMBO to get checked out and I think it may have saved her life.  I hope she would do the same for me (although not completely convinced sometimes ;) )
    Options
    @blasting. Glad you have received a new machine, improvements over the years hopefully will make this round more comfortable for you.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I was diagnosed with "severe obstructed apnea" two months ago by a VA doctor - I use a cpap at night and the very first morning I noticed two things:

1. I felt rested
    2. I had dreams

During the sleep study they told me I went from asleep to almost awake three times a minute. That gave me an uninterrupted sleep of about 20 seconds.

Imagine sleeping 20 seconds, wake up, 20 seconds, wake up, repeat all night. I was spending maybe 15 seconds at a time in REM and they counted one period of time, two hours without REM.

No wonder Apnea can kill you, stroke you out, stress your heart, increase irritability, etc... It's not like I was falling asleep behind the wheel, but I did fall asleep in front of the TV at night.

I was told that I snored in High School, didn't think anything of it.
    Boot camp - they thought it was annoying, but mostly fun at my expense.
    Early marriage, I would wake up alone many nights. Some nights I went to sleep alone just so she could get a full nights rest. 

I'm 57, a bit overweight at 6', 240 - it's not as much about that as physiology of my respiratory soft parts. Still have my tonsils. 

It's nice to dream again.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Apnea is hard to self-identify as you're sleeping when it happens.  I convinced SWMBO to get checked out and I think it may have saved her life.  I hope she would do the same for me (although not completely convinced sometimes ;) )
    How did you convince her? I have the same problem. One of many as you know. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Very sad story. 42 is just way too young to depart. Prayers for the family. 
    Snellville, GA