Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Stupidest Lawsuit of All Time

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I get their point, most people probably don't realize the difference nominal/actual dimensions in that sort of lumber, but I doubt their suit gets very far.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    It's all over. Time to move high in the mountains......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    pisses me off at homedepot buying a 2x4 thats supposed to measure 1.5x3.5 and it actually measures 1.375x 3.375 =) the bge forum should sue for that, i mean how can you build a table like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Working in the big box lumberyard, 1/3 not knowing the dimensions of a 4x4 is quite low actually, 1/2 is more accurate.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Not sure I agree.  I still think the person who sued McDs for serving them hot coffee wins. I will agree this is a close second. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I always remember one case we studied way back in school in a law course ( sorry was in a text book, no internet back the then) where a burglar breaks into a house via a window,  the window came down on the burglar and injured him.   He sued the homeowner because of the defective window and won.

All depends on the later you have I guess.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    Not sure I agree.  I still think the person who sued McDs for serving them hot coffee wins. I will agree this is a close second. 
    I dunno. McD's lawsuit claimed the coffee was hotter than "standard". This lumber has been the standard for over 50 yrs. Modern construction techniques and building materials are designed around these nominal lumber dimensions. 

Only suing Home Depot and Menards shows that it's frivolous. Why not throw in every lumber yard in the country and every store that sells lumber? 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Probably Millenials
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I sure hope these plaintiffs don't buy a yeti...

Phoenix 
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options
    bigbadben said:

This is frequently used as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, bit the plaintiff in that case was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment.  And it was settled for a fraction of the amount that was awarded.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I've never understood why they are measured that way but I've known about it for years. 

Just some lawyers fleecing their customers. an winnings will wind up in the lawyers pockets not the plaintiffs and we will all end up paying more for lumber.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    bigbadben said:

This is frequently used as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, bit the plaintiff in that case was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment.  And it was settled for a fraction of the amount that was awarded.

It actually went to the appellate court where the judge awards damages. Nearly every one of those outrageous awards gets brought back to reality in the appellate court. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    Never hurts to recap the hot coffee lawsuit - http://mentalfloss.com/article/26862/real-details-hot-coffee-lawsuit
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    I've never understood why they are measured that way but I've known about it for years. 

Just some lawyers fleecing their customers. an winnings will wind up in the lawyers pockets not the plaintiffs and we will all end up paying more for lumber.

non kilned rough cut lumber at the saw mill is true to size, the boards finished and dried are smaller.
    fukahwee maine

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options

non kilned rough cut lumber at the saw mill is true to size, the boards finished and dried are smaller.
    I always thought that it was for construction purposes. Because the standard wall in a house is 4 inches thick.  A 2x4 with 2 1/4 inch drywall pieces. 
  • slovelad
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    The McDonald's lawsuit held way more (hot) water than this suit.

the plaintiffs in this suit have no actual or identifiable injuries whether physical or pecuniary.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options

Bingo, we have a winner.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    bigbadben said:

She may have had injuries, but it was still a frivolous lawsuit.  

She purchased hot coffee and spilled it on herself - McDonalds didn't spill it on her.  

I've been injured since Christmas, with another solid 6 months to go.  My injury has incapacitated me a lot longer than coffee grandma.  I could have filed a frivolous suit and got some "go away" money.  However, my injury was my fault - to blame someone else would be an erosion of character.  These days people will sell there integrity for a few zeros on a check.  No thanks.

Phoenix 
  • slovelad
    Options
    Also, not sure if anyone was aware of this class action,  but I was member of the class action suit against EA sports and the NCAA for illegally using our likeness in the video game without compensation.

they paid out 90 million to players in the game based on years on the game, etc.

i got enough to buy atleast a large egg and some accessories out of the deal if that tells you anything lol

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    slovelad said:

I always thought that it was for construction purposes. Because the standard wall in a house is 4 inches thick.  A 2x4 with 2 1/4 inch drywall pieces. 

1/4" drywall? Is that what is used in your area? our code has 1/2" minimum on walls and 5/8 for ceilings, maybe its a local thing
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Ever try building a deck from 2 different suppliers? dimensions or tolerances still very greatly between manufacturers. Ive seen as much as 1/4" on a 2x6
  • fishlessman
    Options
    slovelad said:

i buy a fair amt roughcut because im matching the wood from an old house, then plane my own when i dneed to use the finished size. hd and lowes lumbar is still smaller than finished size, they should be sued
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have an old friend who has spent decades remodeling houses dating back as far as the 1860s. I visited him on a job site once, and a wall had been stripped to the framing. I was astonished at the size of the lumber. He explained that originally 2 x 4s were just that. As was everything in the house. Joists were full 2 x 12. The house, a mansion built by a furniture maker, was framed in oak, and would most likely last another century at least.

• Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    edited June 2017
    Options
    blasting said:
    Kcheves said:
    bigbadben said:

She may have had injuries, but it was still a frivolous lawsuit.  

She purchased hot coffee and spilled it on herself - McDonalds didn't spill it on her.  

I've been injured since Christmas, with another solid 6 months to go.  My injury has incapacitated me a lot longer than coffee grandma.  I could have filed a frivolous suit and got some "go away" money.  However, my injury was my fault - to blame someone else would be an erosion of character.  These days people will sell there integrity for a few zeros on a check.  No thanks.

You should read the analyses of the case. It's not that cut and dried.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Subway's foot long sandwich case...

Edit: Sorry you were injured.  Good luck with your recovery.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    DoubleEgger said:
    This lumber has been the standard for over 50 yrs. Modern construction techniques and building materials are designed around these nominal lumber dimensions. 
    This is true; however, the more recent "thinning" of standard plywood thicknesses (1/2" is now 15/32" or something like that) by Weyerhauser et al should have been met with a lawsuit, class-action lawsuits!  
    Now, if I want a tight fit, the tool makers will gladly sell me stacked dado blades and router bits that are 1/32" smaller than the nominal 1/4, 1/2, 3/4". That was ****.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    If they were really concerned about this then it should have been filed as a class action lawsuit. Instead I think they are just out to make money off of someone else.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I have an old friend who has spent decades remodeling houses dating back as far as the 1860s........
    My first house was older than that, nothing was square. We had a lot of wood cut to size to match the old stuff, or used reclaimed and adjusted it.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Eoin said:
    gdenby said:
    I have an old friend who has spent decades remodeling houses dating back as far as the 1860s........
    My first house was older than that, nothing was square. We had a lot of wood cut to size to match the old stuff, or used reclaimed and adjusted it.
    1860s is new by European standards