Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt Rub Question

Options
pab
pab Posts: 273
I am  going to try the turbo method on pork butts for the first time. I use the Southern Succor rub recipie found in the "Smoke & Spice" cook book which uses turbinado sugar which doesn't burn as easily as brown sugar. I usually do low and slow at 250/275* and the rub works fine at that temperature. Should I cut back or leave out the sugar all together if I am cooking at 350*? TIA

Nerk Ahia LBGE

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Never tried it but from what I read Turbinado sugar has a higher burn temp up to 350.
  • pab
    Options
    The higher burn temp is the reason the authors gave for using Turbinado instead of brown sugar in the recipe. I know it works well in the L&S cooks as I have been using it for about 4 years. I am a bit leery at the higher temp though as 350* on the egg could settle in a little higher, 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always thought it was 350° for "sugar". My rub contains white and brown sugar (i.e. white sugar with molasses). I've never tried turbinado. I've done butts from 250 to nearly 400° (once) and haven't noticed a problem. Well, except that the one time I was near 400, the meat turned out a bit dry. =)

I have been doing them between 300-320° lately. On at 9-10AM, finished by dinner time (7-8 lb butts).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pab
    Options
    Thanks @CarolinaQ. I did decide to cut back on the sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup (doubled the amounts as I am cooking 2 butts) and reduced the salt by more than 1/2 as well. Probably still too much sodium for your diet. :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Go for it. Open the egg once in awhile and check out your bark. If there are spots getting too cooked give them a spritz or brush to help keep from burning. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle