Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting egg super hot

Options
i can't seem to get above 400 on the dome thermometer. I top out here with the vent open and no cover on the dome. 

Cleaned out out all the ash and made sure the charcoal grate could breathe. 

I dont have have felt on the lid but a good layer on the base. 

Any thoughts?  I'm interested in getting up to 700-800 for pizza or a great sear. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pull the fire box out and clean the ash that gets clogged up between the fire box and the base. 

Also calibrate your thermo in boiling water. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Something is off. Is the opening of your firebox aligned with the draft door in the base? Calibrate your thermometer in boiling water and post pics of your egg internals. With the daisy wheel off, bottom vent open, and plenty of lump you should go nuclear.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    What kind of lump? Post pick of lump in your firebox. Some simple is wrong. The large never has nuclear temp issues without a minor adjustment. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    When I first started on the Egg I wanted 900+ and could get there. BUT I found that was never needed. Pizza is fine at 500 and so is any sear on a steak. Just get the steak lower and closer (hell, even on) the lump. 
    the three guys that just posted are correct in the answers. I could only add if all you say is done and your temp gadge is correct are you putting enough lump in?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Couple more ideas:

Light the lump in 3 or 4 places. 

Leave dome open for much longer after lighting. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI