Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Blackstone

Options

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Thank's., I've been looking at these.
    Can you tell me, if you own one, how well they hold up outside? I have a covered area to keep it in.
    I have a phobia about things that rust. Does it become a rust issue over time?

Thanks

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @GregW - you need to keep it dry until it is seasoned. I had an issue with rust early on because I had not yet seasoned it. I went through a couple of rounds of seasoning and cooks, covered it, and left for vacation. The cover leaked and I had a rust spot. It was really no big deal to sand out and re-season. I fixed the leaky cover and now that I have cooked on it a lot it is well seasoned. I have let it get rained on a couple of times and haven't had any rust issues on the cooking surface. There is some rust on the bottom of the griddle but doesn't really affect anything. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    GregW said:
    Can you tell me, if you own one, how well they hold up outside? I have a covered area to keep it in.

Thanks

mines been out for 2 maine winters, 1 winter no cover, 1 winter it had the cover because its near the bird feeder. no rust but i do not really clean it well til the next cook starts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    GregW said:

Thanks

mines been out for 2 maine winters, 1 winter no cover, 1 winter it had the cover because its near the bird feeder. no rust but i do not really clean it well til the next cook starts
    @fishlessman, good to know. From what I read, the Blackstone cover for the 17 leaks. I've been putting mine in the garage rather than leaving it out in the weather. As a result, I use it less than I would if it was already out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Thanks for the rust information.
    Have ya'll found that you use the Blackstone frequently?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    GregW said:

Thanks

@fishlessman, good to know. From what I read, the Blackstone cover for the 17 leaks. I've been putting mine in the garage rather than leaving it out in the weather. As a result, I use it less than I would if it was already out.
    my 17 cover doesnt leak but i do tent it up with a cheese melter/steaming lid in the center. its also placed directly under the roof edge so gets really poured on. the cover keeps the birds from eating the grease from the last cook ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I used the hi temp black spray paint on the underside of mine so it would not rust on the unseasoned bottom and I keep it seasoned and covered. It lives on my patio and doesnt have any issues