Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Traveling home to visit my Pops, what should I pick up from the butcher to smoke???

Traveling home to see my Pops for a long weekend with my 4 year old daughter. He has a smoker, but isn't as obsessed as I am. Anyway, I want to stop by the butcher shop and buy something, put it on ice, then take it with me. What should I buy? The time I've spent with him "watching the cook" has always been special. 

What say say you BGE Nation? 
Dec. 2016: Large BGE
Covington, GA via Rocky Top, TN

Comments

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,769
    Something that you learned how to perfect on the Egg? Maybe something that you don't remember him smoking? With a special "secret rub" of course.
  • Something that you learned how to perfect on the Egg? Maybe something that you don't remember him smoking? With a special "secret rub" of course.
    I think a pork shoulder would be perfect. I have a large family back home, so when I go home and bring the granddaughter, we usually have a nice get together the entire family.
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,527
    Pepper Stout Beef
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 6,018
    With father's day up coming, I ran across an article saying all dad's all over the world like steak. So I'll suggest a tri-tip. Close to steak tender, but smokes really well.
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,554
    edited June 2017
    Have your butcher tie you up a couple of pork collars. Thank me later.

http://heritagecheshire.com/bbq/ct-butt-pork-collar-money-muscle/

Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • TN_Sister_StateTN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I would do whatever you have mastered on the egg. With that said i would do beef ribs if it was me visiting my dad. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,421
    Something that you learned how to perfect on the Egg? Maybe something that you don't remember him smoking? With a special "secret rub" of course.
    I think a pork shoulder would be perfect. I have a large family back home, so when I go home and bring the granddaughter, we usually have a nice get together the entire family.
    Sounds like you have nailed this plan down with out us.  Now, what am I supposed to do?  :smiley:
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,812
    Beef ribs, aka brisket on a stick. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Something that you learned how to perfect on the Egg? Maybe something that you don't remember him smoking? With a special "secret rub" of course.
    Sounds like you have nailed this plan down with out us.  Now, what am I supposed to do?  :smiley:
    Hey brother, you guys all do more than enough!
  • YEMTrey said:
    Beef ribs, aka brisket on a stick. 
    Agree beef ribs for sure