Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gloves to use for removing plate setter, cast iron cookware

Options
2»

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ordered my second pair at this price.  The thumb part of mine was ripped thanks to my dog.  @DoubleEgger found this by mistake.  Haha.  
    Might want to order a backup pair 
    Oddly enough, she hasn't touched them since she got a hold of them the first time.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Being a firefighter it was a no brainer for me.  Fire fighting gloves work great.  Expect to pay 50-100 bucks though.  eBay might have some deals though on gently used.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    These claim to be 932ºf, a very specific number... they're brand new, haven't used them yet - got a platesetter cook scheduled for the weekend:

at the www.grillmastergloves.com website, in the "contact us" section, is an email address from Australia. 

If silicone is stable up to 400ºf, I don't see how these gloves could handle something more than twice that without damage.

I know I'm not grabbing a 900º platesetter with these on, I'll wait. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    These claim to be 932ºf, a very specific number...

Not really that specific since it is 500ºC. Like why does my Toyota truck have a 26 gallon tank? It is actually a 100 Liter tank.
    But I agree with you that grabbing a 900º platesetter would not be a good idea.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Nope nope nope... you need a PSWOO my friend... then use the gloves to grab the woo handles.. no brainer
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I have these and I make sure I'm not going to be holding on to anything too long at Thermal StressTemps.  Here is a Q&A thread from Amazon where I purchased mine. I think the key is holding versus moving. 
    Answer:
    If you are just picking up the grates and putting them down you should not have a problem. If you plan to hold them for 10 - 15 seconds it will probably not work. I use a cast iron pan on the sear section of my outdoor grill which heats to around 750 degrees. I was able to pick up the pan by the handle and the ledge on the other side and carry it into the kitchen. It took about seven seconds before I began to feel any real heat. see less 

By Amazon Customer on August 31, 2015I would not go beyond the stated rating of the gloves. Better to open the Egg ,let it cool for a while before reaching for the grates. 

By Victor Carmody on September 1, 2015
    These gloves will handle that kind of heat. My hands got hot just pick up the hot grill. 

By KH on September 4, 2015
    NO DO NOT BUY . This product will not work for those temps. When I used these at temps of about 350 my hand started getting hot in about 30 seconds at 450 I had to put my skillet down right away. 

By Brian on September 1, 2015
    I would personally stay away from handling grates at 1000 degrees with these gloves, that's beyond the max temperature.. and remember the max is what it's heat resistant to... similar of course to water "resistant" which I think is sometimes not taken into consideration... even at much lower temperatures you won't want to hold grates for long. see less 
    By qsyph on November 22, 2015

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    I second the Ott Platesetter lifter. works exceptionally well and allows you to hang the plate setter off of your eggmates or table. I wouldnt really recommend doing that though if children or dogs are nearby as they may knock it off to its doom...
    LBGE circa 2016