Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza peel...

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
...finally ordered a wooden peel. Have been using a Superpeel. Have had it come apart once. Luckily was able to get the pizza onto the stone. Ernie has washed the fabric a few times, it has shrunk some. Made dough for Monday. Made enough so that if I create a train wreck we will still have dinner. Peel I got was sanded smooth, no finish of any sort. Is coating the paddle with food grade Mineral oil a good idea?

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I've never threaten mine and have had it several years, it has never gotten wet.   My worry is that by putting something on it like any type of oil may make it sticky, even by just a little bit, that would be a problem.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • dougcrann
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I've never threaten mine and have had it several years, it has never gotten wet.   My worry is that by putting something on it like any type of oil may make it sticky, even by just a little bit, that would be a problem.
    I understand your thought process but if this were the case wouldn't putting mineral oil on a butcher block cutting board create the same sticky surface? Ernestina applies mineral oil to our butcher block cutting board every 2-3 months..
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I never put anything (other than dough) on my pizza peel.  Disclaimer- I suck at making pizza
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dougcrann
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I never put anything (other than dough) on my pizza peel.  Disclaimer- I suck at making pizza
    Thank you for being honest. 
    I recently bought a book, The Elements of Pizza. Following a very simple recipe. Using Shepherds Low Gluten flour for my pizza, King Arthur Bread Flour for the wifes. Pizzas are the best we have ever made. 
    I have never tried using a regular peel. I know a few members here ridicule folks who can't launch a pizza..it is what it is...Must be nice to be able to look down on folks lol...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I use a wooden peel with a little OO flour to make it slick. Move your wrist in a quick "J" motion to get the pie off the the peel and onto the stone. You have to be decisive when doing it. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    I use a wooden peel with a little OO flour to make it slick. Move your wrist in a quick "J" motion to get the pie off the the peel and onto the stone. You have to be decisive when doing it. 
    Thank you 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can also practice with some pies with no toppings. Of course it'll be a little different due to the weight of the toppings but you can get the feel for it without the stress of losing a full blown pie. 
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Thank you 
    +1
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Doug,
    when I first bought my wooden peel 17 years ago I put 3 coats of "salad bowl finish" on it I bought from a wood workers store. Since then all I ever have done is to wash off the peel and dry it. Still looks good in spite of years and years of cutting wheel scars! 

As for your Super Peel can't you just compress the clamping strip, or even replace it with a piece of aluminum channel that you carefully bend to a more closed state?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I put food grade mineral oil on mine occasionally when it looks really dry and I have had no issues getting pizzas to slide off. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I've oiled my peel a couple of times with no ill effects.  We do pizza most Friday or Saturday nights.  Our practice has been to roll the dough out on parchment paper, lift the parchment paper with the prepared pizza on to the peel and slide the parchment paper and pizza on to the pizza stone.  Works like a charm. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    10W-40 Conventional :grin:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dougcrann
    Options
    10W-40 Conventional :grin: