Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Drinkware temperature test

Options
HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,345
https://youtu.be/lXk4ZtVLTZE

This recently posted video shows a few types of drinkware in a simple (and short - 1 hour) temp rise over time test.

I suffered through the whole 18 minutes so you don't have to (but some may find the whole thing interesting) and the bottom line was that the RTIC tumbler performed a little bit better than the Yeti. The worst performer was a plain glass tumbler. Big surprise.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Is that the guy from myth buster?   Good to know the RTIC holds ice for 45sec longer than other brands.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Feel like I just drove by a train wreck ... didn't want to look, but just couldn't resist a quick peek ... 18 minutes later and I know I need help ... damn.  Couple of comments before I go find my meds: 

1) Cold liquids, in an open top tumbler, will stratify (warmer on top and cooler on the bottom) thus clouding the results ... periodic stirring will improve the data.  The more efficient the tumbler the greater the stratification.

2) I would have expected the RTIC and Yeti to be closer than the raw data demonstrated.  Since the Yeti was a used tumbler, it might have lost some/all of it's vacuum, thus yielding a lower performance curve.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The question remains was the measuring device calibrated by NVALP? Or would dome temp be sufficient for this test? :get_outta_here:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    At anytime during that video (I didn't watch) were there two guys holding two different cups and one guy says, "dang this water is cold", then the other says, "yeah, it's deep too!"
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95