Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bulk Turbo Butts on Large Egg?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm going to only have 12 hours to cook and serve five butts on my large egg including starting the egg. Can't get on the premises until 6AM and need to serve at 6 or 6:30PM. Thoughts on the best process? Was looking at turbo cooks but haven't seen any with a bunch of butts at the same time.

Ty Maier

Comments

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    If you have the ability to have a 2 tier approach, it would be no problem.  If not, I would arrange the butts on end rather than laying the flat.  You may have to add some foil to protect the butts that aren't covered by the plate setter/stone.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Me? I've done this cook. Two tiers and load the egg up. Start temp 275 for the first hour. Then crank to Turbo temp(s) and rotate (every hour or so) to even the temps out on the butts. This sounds like fun .. enjoy it. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Follow SoCal. Make sure you prep the meat the night before. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    If you can prep the night before, you should be able to start them the night before too...  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Me? I've done this cook. Two tiers and load the egg up. Start temp 275 for the first hour. Then crank to Turbo temp(s) and rotate (every hour or so) to even the temps out on the butts. This sounds like fun .. enjoy it. 
    Start at 275 for an hour to smoke and then what temp? Is 350 a good starting point?
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    tymaier said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Start at 275 for an hour to smoke and then what temp? Is 350 a good starting point?
    I did 2 large butts earlier this week at 350. They took about 6 1/2 hours. You should have no problem finishing within your time frame.

XL BGE
    MD
  • tymaier
    Options
    Should I foil for a quick cook like this or does it need all the smoke it can get?
  • tymaier
    Options
    So I'm going to attempt 5 or 6 butts next Sunday on my LBGE. Any suggestions on quantity to weight ratio?

I was thinking five 10lb butts or maybe six 8lb butts. Any suggestions or past experience? I could do a little less meat if nessecary but I'd really like to do 50lb if possible.