Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping pizza warm?

Options
Im cooking pizzas this weekend on the large for the mother in laws birthday this weekend. About 6-8 total. They will cook for 5-7 minutes each I figure with a few minutes in between for the stone to warm back up. Would just sliding them in the oven on warm be good enough and not dry the crust out and make them chewy? 
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    i put them in pizza boxes , and then in the oven on warm . seems to work fine . Thats the best idea I could come up with  .  The pizza box seems to  keep them from getting chewy or dry . Not sure if its even necessary , but that is what I do
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    So you are trying to cook multiple pies and serve at once? Why not serve as they come off? If not, yes you can hold in a warm oven. This is not recommended for holding much longer than 15-20 min tops before you will see an impact to quality. 

If your question is how do you keep the pies hot while serving, purchase a large pizza stone to use for transfer of the pie(s) after cooking on the egg. The stone can be heated in an oven ....it will help keep a pie hot while serving. 

If I completely failed to answer your question, hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There are some pizza joints that don't offer takeout because they feel that steaming pizza in a cardboard box ruins what they worked so hard to create. I have had pizza that was ruined by carrying it one block down the street in a box. Pies from that same store, when eaten right out of the oven, were delicious.

Pizza is best eaten right out of the cooker. So, as others have said, serve 'em as you bake 'em.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Excellent! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I will probably try to get 2 finished and let everyone dig in after the 3rd goes on. Will have about 12 people eating. Just wanted to have a little variety available.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • northGAcock
    Options
    You can always divide your pie with variety.....but under stand your goal. Bottom line, enjoy!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @Carolina Q   .your post reminded me of this Tweet I saw the other day. 

Good stuff.
    Pizza Hut used to be in a league of its own.
    Now it's lumped into the Little Skeezers, Papa Johns, Dominos category.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    Good stuff.
    The Pizza Hut here is still in a league of it's own. It's the only pizza joint in town that went out of business! Looks pretty sad, but then, it was looking pretty sad before it closed.

At least we know how to make a proper pan pizza... =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Good stuff.
    The Pizza Hut here is still in a league of it's own. It's the only pizza joint in town that went out of business! Looks pretty sad, but then, it was looking pretty sad before it closed.

Good memories, and so true.  Your pies are always top notch.

For the egg, Kenji's recipe is my most favorite.  
    And I can honestly say, I've tried many. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Good stuff.

Thanks! I'll bet you never did try Ed Heller's realdeepdish, did you?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Good stuff.

Thanks! I'll bet you never did try Ed Heller's realdeepdish, did you?
    I need to, it's on my list, and I found a nice ceramic deep dish baker.

A local joint sells a large spaghetti pie for 17 bucks.  Two of us ate on this for days, and like lasagna, it only gets better heated on the baking steel in the oven at 400....hard to beat, even if it is a casserole. Lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• northGAcock
    Options
    Just catching back up to this thread. Funny you mention the Pan Pizza. Picked up ingredients today.....one is going on soon here. I have had enough rain.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Just catching back up to this thread. Funny you mention the Pan Pizza. Picked up ingredients today.....one is going on soon here. I have had enough rain.
    Kenji's I hope? 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html?ref=title

Michael 
    Central Connecticut