Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC butt?

Options
How long has someone kept one in the cooler? Im nervous mine will be done early and it's for lunch tomorrow. Worst case I may have to cooler for 5-7 hours.
Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    If you have a good cooler (yeti) I mean RTIC or similar. 

If you wnay to really really take it to the next level. Double wrap with foil and place towels in the cooler. You can also put the towels on the dryer to heat them up. 

If you do do all that, and don't open up the cooler, 7 hours is no problem
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks, I always add extra towels in the cooler after it's wrapped in one. Wanted to ask before it was done at 2-3am and everyone on the forum is cross eyed.  =)
    Franklin, Tn

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    If you know now then slow it down-but you can easily get the time-frame you desire.  Regrettably due to the cow hosing me I have gone 6-7 hours with a brisket.  Never been past around 4+ hours with a butt (pig is more benevolent I guess) but the heat transfer properties are the same.  Pre-warm the cooler of choice and enjoy the end result. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    I'm just paranoid when I cook to a schedule. I'm sure it will be just fine at 225. It will hit the stall for a good 3 hours probably
    Franklin, Tn

• TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Looks like I'm right on schedule.
    Franklin, Tn

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Should be fine. It'll slow down at some point. 

You should be able to hold for 6+, FTC. One bit of info is to bring some water up to near boiling and dump into your cooler to pre warm it. Let that sit for a while.  Then you don't have to worry about heating your towels. 

Place in the cooler then. 

You can also place your oven on the warm feature and that will hold as well. Keep it foiled. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site