Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for FTC

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
Tomorrow I am planning on cooking an 8 Pound Pork Butt for a small dinner party around 7:30 PM.  This is my 3rd butt and I have had problems in the past with timing, so I want to start early and not have to stress out on the time.  

I will probably put it on around 6 AM at a dome temp of around 280.  Using the 1 hr/pound figure for this temp, it should be done around 2.. but I will have some safety time if needed and if the stall is long.  If so, I could crank up the temp after foiling and finish that way if needed.  

However, if it is done around 2PM and if I then FTC,  will it be safe to eat 5 hours later?  Or should I revise my time somewhat?  Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Double wrap in good, heavy duty foil.  Wrap in towels, and place in the cooler and fill the cooler with towels.  The insulative mass will help maintain the heat for 5 hrs if needed....  Done this several times with no problems.  I use a cheap cooler that I got at Ingles grocery store...

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    ^^^^^ what he said.  I held ribs last weekend for over 3 hours.  No problem with the butt.  If you are really concerned, you can preheat the cooler and throw the towels in the dryer for a quick heat up too.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    In addition to the above FTC options you can start a bit later as once you have created a good bark you can dial up the temp to punch it home.  You can go into the low 300's if needed not foiling to preserve the bark and get it done.  You can go higher as well as long as you don't have much sugar in your rub (it can scorch above 350*F or so...).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've kept FTC for 7 hours with meat still hot enough to easily pull. 
    Good luck and enjoy. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Agree with all above.  When you are ready to pull, take it out of the cooler and the foil and let it rest for about 15 minutes or so till you pull it.  I found this helps with the juices and it is not as hot to pull then.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.