Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow-Smoked Baby Back Ribs

Received this new cookbook Secret Ingredient by Staci Jett From YC Media.

Ingredients. 

Seasoned and ready to applewood smoke them for 4hrs. @250* indirect

In for 1hr. one more then wrap in foil for 2 hrs.

I put honey, more rub,and butter. Wrapped top side down for 2hrs.

These Baby Back Ribs were Wonderful and full of flavor, well do again!

Recipe:

Slow-Smoked Baby Back Pork Ribs

Pork rib recipes can be a touchy subject to the barbecue enthusiast. Just like belly buttons, everybody has one. To 

the home cook, the perfect rib is falling off of the bone. Forgive me for I am about to use a four-letter word. Some 

people “boil” their ribs before they finish them off with the grill and a slather of sauce. There are arguments on dry 

ribs and wet ribs, sauces, wrapping, techniques, you name it. I’m not publishing my competition ribs—honestly, 

I don’t like competition ribs. They are way too rich for my taste. And if I did, where would that leave me? This 

recipe is a simple one. It’s good for the backyard weekend barbecue god or tailgater who wants to step up their 

game a bit. My secret? My rubs contain Old Bay. There are those who think I’m a bit strange for that. Also, I add 

the special wrapping technique. The average Joe doesn’t add this step at home or even know about it, but it is 

something used often by barbecue professionals. 

Serves: 4 

1 cup (200 g) Sugar In The Raw

½ cup (112 g) packed light brown sugar

1 tbsp (6 g) Old Bay Seasoning

2 tbsp (12 g) smoked paprika

½ tsp onion powder

½ tsp ancho chile powder

½ tsp chipotle powder

2 (2-lb [908-g]) racks baby back pork ribs

Olive oil

Cooking butter spray

Honey

Softened butter in a squeeze bottle

Preheat the smoker to 250°F (120°C). 

In a bowl, combine the Sugar In The Raw, light brown sugar, Old Bay, paprika, onion powder, ancho chile powder and chipotle powder. Take a paper towel and remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. This is not edible and it becomes tough. Removing it also helps get the rub into more contact with the meat and penetrate better. Rub the ribs with a light coating of olive oil and apply the rub generously to both sides of the ribs. 

Lay the ribs in the smoker and cook for 2 hours, spraying with butter every 30 to 45 minutes to help keep them moist. After 2 hours of smoking, make a wrap for the ribs. Tear off two pieces of foil long enough to wrap each rib. On the foil, sprinkle some of the leftover rub, a line of honey, and a line of softened butter. Lay the ribs in the foil, bottom side up, and wrap them tightly. Place the ribs back in the smoker for another 1½ hours. Open the foil to check for tenderness. Now, I’m not going to tell you what the correct tenderness is. That’s up to you. If you want them to where the bone will fall out when you pick them up, then cook them until they reach that point. Cooking time on ribs varies greatly anyway, depending on the thickness of the rib and the amount of fat in it. I’m giving you a guiding hand, but everyone has his or her preference. 

This recipe was reprinted with permission from Secret Ingredient Smoking and Grilling by Staci Jett, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Ken Goodman.

Thanks for lookin!

Ross

Comments