Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dark Crust on Pulled Pork

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I have had my Egg for about 5 months and I am about to embark on my 3rd pulled pork.. The previous two have been very good, but I would like to have a little more bark than the first two.  I had a small (1/8 - 1/4 inch) dark bark.. and is this normal?  From the pictures that some of you have posted, it seems that some of you have dark thick bark.  

What I have been doing it to amply spread mustard over the butt, then a good rub.. and then cook at around 280 until internal temp of 195 and the butt probes easily... 

Any suggestions?  

Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Here's how I do a butt, and I get a good thick bark.

The night before I rub with mustard and two layers of rub.  I let it sit covered overnight.  Right before I put it on the egg I put another layer of rub on.  Then I smoke uncovered at 240-260 until its done.  1/8-1/4 inch isn't a bad amount of bark. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    More rub equals more bark as noted above.  For me, the best finish-line indicator is when the bone pulls clean regardless of temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    coat with rub,then mustard, then enough rub to make the mustard disappear, indirect at 235. add a bunch of brown sugar to the rub. it will look like a meteorite when its done
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    I rub generously and go L&S @ 225, thats about 2 hours per lb, and start checking around 195-200 and pull when its ready, the buttah check.
    O-Town, FL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I do like above with mustard and lots of rub, then I put it in the fridge for an hour while I get the egg ready or prep the night before.  I think moisture helps create a good bark.  I also like starting out at 225 then take it up to 275 when it gets to 160-165.  I think the lower temp and longer time to get to 160 helps in making a good bark.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    + what the others have said, but keep in mind the higher the sugar content in your rub the darker and even possibly black your bark will be.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I rub mine the night before, put in the fridge and then add more rub before putting it on the cooker. And I use @MeatChurch honey hog - the sugar/honey gives it a great bark color
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    you also want to cut all the exterior fat off, more bark stuck to the meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it