Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Anyone else a tournament angler?

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick question for those of you who are serious anglers. Just wondering what types of battery chargers you guys use. I guess this can also apply to anyone else who regularly charges deep cycle batteries. My boats have on board chargers, however I also use a charger to charge my backup batteries. I need to replace it with something good and reliable to charge my batteries when I am on the water to be swapped overnight for the next day of tournament. I know it's a long shot, but I trust the opinions of you guys, and if any of you are serious anglers, you would take it just as serious as your BBQ. Hence my asking. 

Thanks. Tight lines!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Not a tournament angler by no means, but check out Charles Marine if money isn't a concern. 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Not a tournament angler by no means, but check out Charles Marine if money isn't a concern. 
    Just looking for real work advice from others who have to charge 12v deep cycle batteries in a fast and safe manner. I have gone through too many cheap chargers and some if not most kill batteries faster than they charge them. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My Ranger has a Dual Pro.  Hard to argue with this brand.  Tvry boat I have ever had, Rangers, have had Dual pros and I have never had a problem.  They are also the only Charger that can be repaired if needed.  That said I went from 24 to 36 volt Trolling Motor and had to add a battery, which means I need a 4 bank on board.  I decided to get a portable Noco Genius 11000 to put on my new 31 class AGM cranking battery.  The Noco came with a set of terminal connectors and clamps.  The cord also has a quick disconnect. I have wired a permanent set of leads and zip tied them to my Dual pro cord.  The Noco is relatively small so I just leave it in one of my compartments. I hook up the quick connect to the charger when I plug in my Dual Pro, easy.  This single bank charger also gives me flexibility should I need it on my truck or elsewhere while on the road.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CTEK make very good chargers, I have 2.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    My Ranger has a Dual Pro.  Hard to argue with this brand.  Tvry boat I have ever had, Rangers, have had Dual pros and I have never had a problem.  They are also the only Charger that can be repaired if needed.  That said I went from 24 to 36 volt Trolling Motor and had to add a battery, which means I need a 4 bank on board.  I decided to get a portable Noco Genius 11000 to put on my new 31 class AGM cranking battery.  The Noco came with a set of terminal connectors and clamps.  The cord also has a quick disconnect. I have wired a permanent set of leads and zip tied them to my Dual pro cord.  The Noco is relatively small so I just leave it in one of my compartments. I hook up the quick connect to the charger when I plug in my Dual Pro, easy.  This single bank charger also gives me flexibility should I need it on my truck or elsewhere while on the road.
    i am about to buy a 621vs with that setup. Can't wait. 

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    I have been using Dual Pro for the last 12 years. I have the 3 bank charger with 15 amps per bank. It charges quick, monitors the state of charge and has been very reliable. 
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not a boat, but I did a bunch of research before buying this for my teardrop camper. Been very pleased. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

Cotek Cx1250 Only way to go 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Lemme check with a buddy who's brought home a few trophies thru the Bass Tour....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Seapointbakers
    Seapointbakers Posts: 64
    edited May 2017
    Options

Basscat uses the Noco charger as well. Years ago when I had my first Cat they use to use a Lester charger that was "built in" I don't know or think that is available but they still sell a stand alone unit. The experience I had with the first one was very good.

http://www.basscatstore.com/lesterbatterycharger.aspx

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    no help here, i get about 8 days on battery one, then flip the switch when my fishfinder says im getting low voltage. =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it