Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Help!

Options

I am working on a new table and have a question for blackstone owners.  can you possibly measure the outside dimensions of the griddle without the side tables and the stand, the plan is to put it in the middle of two eggs on a 8' long table.  thanks in advance

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

I am working on a new table and have a question for blackstone owners.  can you possibly measure the outside dimensions of the griddle without the side tables and the stand, the plan is to put it in the middle of two eggs on a 8' long table.  thanks in advance

Can't really help you with the measurements, but can tell you there are at least four different size Blackstone griddles. Might help whomever can assist you to know which one you need measurements for.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    If you go with the 36" model it will be pretty close to 36" I'll measure when I get home from work.  What size eggs are you putting in the table?  If they are both large eggs I worry that you won't leave yourself a lot of prep area on the table.  Maybe you could get a cutting board cut that will fit the blackstone and use it as a work space when you aren't using it. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am planning on a 36" griddle so that would be great.  my plan is to have a the griddle sitting down slightly and the top will fold down over when not in use for a massive prep area.  the area will be smaller when in use but the patio is 8' wide so I am limited and due to the covering and layout an L shape isn't in the cards either.  I will load a picture of the mock up shortly.

Boiler Up!!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This Google thing is a helluva tool.  

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
    38.75 x 24.25 x 14.25 Inches

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    I am planning on a 36" griddle so that would be great.  my plan is to have a the griddle sitting down slightly and the top will fold down over when not in use for a massive prep area.  the area will be smaller when in use but the patio is 8' wide so I am limited and due to the covering and layout an L shape isn't in the cards either.  I will load a picture of the mock up shortly.
    That sounds like a great setup. Hope you will post some pics when you get it built. Ever thought about some kind of way to raise the griddle up out of its place when you raise the folded top?
    Maybe a simple scissor jack mounted to the bottom? A few turns on the crank and it would at table level or higher instead of down in the table.
    Just tossing out an idea.
  • Kent8621
    Options
    here is a preview of what the current plan is.  open to input

Boiler Up!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would get the griddle before finalizing plans, i think the grease trap is off to the side with that size, my 17 is in the front, the 22 ? is in the back. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Looks like a good design idea. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I love the design. Make sure you leave plenty of space for air to circulate around the griddle. I've melted my lard container on the bottom shelf of the Blackstone from the radiant heat

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • crudad
    crudad Posts: 7
    Options
    i would get the griddle before finalizing plans, i think the grease trap is off to the side with that size, my 17 is in the front, the 22 ? is in the back. 
    This is true.  On the 36 it hangs off the right side of the griddle which extends it out even further.  You may be able to modify it so it goes in the middle and underneath but it would get really hot.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I love the design. Make sure you leave plenty of space for air to circulate around the griddle. I've melted my lard container on the bottom shelf of the Blackstone from the radiant heat

I think this needs to be emphasized. That thing puts out a lot of heat to the sides...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I was surprised by the immense amount of heat coming out the side vents, and that was with the burners only 1/4 open!  I would say you need at least 12" on both the left and right side (to combustible materials).  Might get with less if you used something metal or stone to surround it, but not wood for sure.
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    I too thought about building some type of table for my 36inch BS, but after a few cooks, I would be worried about the radiant heat. Man it gets hot....not just a little warm but down right hot on the sides and underneath. So hot, I am worried about sitting stuff on the shelves.....in fear of it melting. 
  • Kent8621
    Options
    thanks for the advice on this.  for those of you that expressed concern about the heat do you think if the area surrounding the griddle was tiled that would be enough?

Boiler Up!!